The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Bamboo Fly Rods

Bamboo Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding bamboo fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 09:09 PM

clever_nickname will become famous soon enoughclever_nickname will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Chinese bamboo rod

I've always been curious about these but have never actually pulled the trigger. So they are okay?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:43 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbr View Post
Could you give some more info on who you got the blank from and perhaps some pics? I'm assuming that while there are a bunch of dealers of these blanks, they're probably coming from the same place.

What did you use for ferrules?
Sure. The blanks are from the Angler's Roost. Got them years ago. His ferrules are on the 4wt and I got better ones from the Golden Witch for the 5wt.

Here's a couple of the 5wt, you can see a bit of the rattan grip. Love rattan grips but on a heavier bamboo rod I wish I'd done a full wells grip. The agate is from Golden Witch as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Stupid me didn't take good pictures of the 4wt. It's a lighter blank, also a rattan grip. I'll post this one - the rod is on the bank behind me. Landed some large fish on that 4wt bamboo rod, don't be afraid to put them to work.

I used sliding band reel seats on both of them. They work fine until you put the rod against your body to fight a larger fish, then you can pop the reel off. I did that, not fun to fish a reel out of the water while fighting a 20"er.
jeepster II and ia_trouter like this.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:37 AM

runningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud of

Speaking of economical bamboo, Brian from The Olde Fly shoppe in Florida sells some nice selection too.
j1973s likes this.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 PM

vanwagw will become famous soon enoughvanwagw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkyboots View Post
Was looking on the auction site at bamboo rods and was checking out a new bamboo Rod for a real good price. My wife asked me if I wanted it. I laughed and told her if I could get it for $100.00. She put in a offer and they went for it. Two weeks later I got a new bamboo Rod with two tips, 7/12 foot 5 weight from China for a crazy price of $119.00 including shipping price. I checked out the Rod and so far it looked good, went together tight and had no problem attaching the real. It's not like my Orvis boo Rod but can't wait till the weather clears and get to try it out. I'll. give a update when I stream test it. Let's see if it holds up to a big brown.lol
How do you like the action of the rod? I was thinking of one myself.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:46 AM

lkyboots is a jewel in the roughlkyboots is a jewel in the roughlkyboots is a jewel in the roughlkyboots is a jewel in the rough

I haven't got to fish the Rod yet but it has a slow action. It takes a little time to get used to fishing with a bamboo Rod if your only used to fishing graphite rods.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Take this for what it's worth because I haven't even assembled mine yet. Anglers Roost has some blanks that are built with the same tapers of some of the old famous rods. They aren't quite as cheap as his ultra economy line, but after talking to Johnny I felt they were less of a crapshoot on what I was going to get. He has a few favorites that pro rod builders use for their more economical builds.

And maybe I just drank the kool-aid, but I like the looks of the rod blank quality. The blank is arrow straight, the gaps are tight and the flamed appearance is to my liking. Not perfect flaming, but not $1000 either. The Christmas sale made it hard not to upgrade a bit from the "who knows" blank line-up the econo vendors sell.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
Is that a Zhu rod? I picked up the same size for like $75 a couple years ago. It casts nice..... doesn't have the same mystique as an old Hardy or custom split cane... but I'm not a tackle snob. A nice little blue line chaser for brookies..... if I slip off a boulder and break it... I won't cry as loud.

ft09
Years back now but I wanted a light single hander 'Boo' and put on to this fellow. Sale went smooth as glass, rod was better than I expected. My guess is he sells a hell of a lot of rods in the US.

fae
Old 03-21-2017, 04:15 PM

lkyboots is a jewel in the roughlkyboots is a jewel in the roughlkyboots is a jewel in the roughlkyboots is a jewel in the rough

I got to fish today with it and really liked the Rod. No problem casting and even caught a couple of Trout. It could become one of my favorite rods for small and medium sized streams.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:54 PM

skcwolfgang is on a distinguished road

I got a 6'9" 4 wt Zhu rod a few years back,and it was ok. I caught many fish
On it. The taper was very soft. I sold it after I had it 2 years and I got what I paid for it. Remember it is the taper not the material that makes a good rod. I did enjoy the bamboo feel and I eventually got a sweetgrass rod.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcwolfgang View Post
I got a 6'9" 4 wt Zhu rod a few years back,and it was ok. I caught many fish
On it. The taper was very soft. I sold it after I had it 2 years and I got what I paid for it. Remember it is the taper not the material that makes a good rod. I did enjoy the bamboo feel and I eventually got a sweetgrass rod.
So you like the Maserati better than the Hyundai?