The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Bamboo Fly Rods

Bamboo Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding bamboo fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 12:10 PM

lkyboots has a spectacular aura aboutlkyboots has a spectacular aura about
Default Chinese bamboo rod

Was looking on the auction site at bamboo rods and was checking out a new bamboo Rod for a real good price. My wife asked me if I wanted it. I laughed and told her if I could get it for $100.00. She put in a offer and they went for it. Two weeks later I got a new bamboo Rod with two tips, 7/12 foot 5 weight from China for a crazy price of $119.00 including shipping price. I checked out the Rod and so far it looked good, went together tight and had no problem attaching the real. It's not like my Orvis boo Rod but can't wait till the weather clears and get to try it out. I'll. give a update when I stream test it. Let's see if it holds up to a big brown.lol
Old 03-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts
Default Re: Chinese bamboo rod

I've never had fishing experience with them but was able to cast the Tea Stick rods back in 2002 or there about at the Denver Fly Expo. Those worked nicely but like any cane rod I wouldn't begin use by pushing the rod. Regardless of maker they are still multi spline shafts with stainless ferrules............

Sounds like you got a steal,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-04-2017, 01:37 PM

flytie09 has much to be proud offlytie09 has much to be proud offlytie09 has much to be proud offlytie09 has much to be proud offlytie09 has much to be proud offlytie09 has much to be proud offlytie09 has much to be proud offlytie09 has much to be proud offlytie09 has much to be proud offlytie09 has much to be proud of

Is that a Zhu rod? I picked up the same size for like $75 a couple years ago. It casts nice..... doesn't have the same mystique as an old Hardy or custom split cane... but I'm not a tackle snob. A nice little blue line chaser for brookies..... if I slip off a boulder and break it... I won't cry as loud.

ft09
fredaevans likes this.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
~Zane Grey

“The finest gift you can give to another fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn’t someone else’s gift to you.”
~Lee Wulff
Old 03-04-2017, 01:47 PM

It's a Zhu Rod. Thanks for the reply. Like you say if it gets broke you don't go broke buying another one.
flytie09 and mka like this.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:00 PM

xvigauge is on a distinguished road

It should be a very castable durable rod and should handle the browns just fine. What kind of reel were you planning to use with it.
Joe
Old 03-05-2017, 05:36 AM

I have two reels ready that are both Orvis, one with Rio line and one with Orvis line. Never used Rio line before.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:10 PM

runningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to behold

I know a bamboo rod maker from Yogyakarta, Indonesia. He quoted me a very good price bamboo rod and his boo will come in a wooden box. You can google, facebook, or youtube him up.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got a rod you like! I haven't tried the Zhu rods, but built a couple from bamboo blanks that came from China. Nothing to complain about. One is a bit heavy, but that's the nature of a longer bamboo rod. The 7'6" 4wt was a blast to fish. I stripped it down because I wanted to wrap it better and haven't gotten back on it, but enjoy yours!
Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 PM

weiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to all

I have a 7' 4wt Headwaters bamboo rod, a bottom feeder of the bamboo world, but I am quite pleased with it. It's a Chinese-made blank, maybe a Zhu, but I am not sure.

You get what you pay for, usually, and I'd love to try out a $3500 bamboo rod, but for now mine is just fine.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:35 PM

mattbr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Glad you got a rod you like! I haven't tried the Zhu rods, but built a couple from bamboo blanks that came from China. Nothing to complain about. One is a bit heavy, but that's the nature of a longer bamboo rod. The 7'6" 4wt was a blast to fish. I stripped it down because I wanted to wrap it better and haven't gotten back on it, but enjoy yours!
Could you give some more info on who you got the blank from and perhaps some pics? I'm assuming that while there are a bunch of dealers of these blanks, they're probably coming from the same place.

What did you use for ferrules?