The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the Caribbean > Belize

Belize Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 PM

yimmj is on a distinguished road
Default Advice for Caye Caulker

I will be traveling to Belize the first of May. Any advice for guides or DIY for Caye Caulker would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to see if guide sharing is a possiblity so any info on that would help also. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM

MVFLY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice for Caye Caulker

yimmj, I've been to Ambergris Caye twice. Great time. I did a lot of fly fishing with local guides. Mostly sm. bonefish. Quite inexpensive at the time. (2003/2004) I was with the family, so I went out on multiple half day trips and was back before they roled out of bed. I paid $125.00 a trip. Split a full day with a freind I met. $200.00 How did you pick Caye Caulker over Ambergris Caye or mainland? Just wondering?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 PM

yimmj is on a distinguished road

Well, we orginally planned to do Placencia and CC. However the down turn in the economy and my wife's pay cut led us to CC. It seems to be nice and the DIY appears to be a little more accesible. the acomadations are a lot more affordable than AC. The place we are looking to stay at provides kayak fishing and snorkel gear (great for the wife). Planning on trying to fish twice with guides and possibly trying to go to the fish co-op to see if i can hire a boat and do DIY. Was it very difficult to find a guide share fisherman? This is our first trip to Belize so any advice would help
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM

MVFLY is on a distinguished road

Really, When I was planning my 1st trip, I thought that AC had so much more than CC. The flight has to be the same. So it comes down to the rest. The rooms/hotels ran from $30/ night to as much as you want to spend. I found a great place and returned their the second time. Check out this link. There is a message board. You will feel like you know everything about the place before you go.. Ambergris Caye Island Information, Belize.
You could share a guide if you found someone. I don't think the guide would set that up. I found a freind where I was staying. But for $125, I went on 4 half day trips one year. I still have their busines cards. Hotel's have them all also.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 PM

tandrin is on a distinguished road

Just got back from Caye Caulker and loved it. It is not a pseudo resort island like Ambergris. It was exactly what we were looking for on an island in Belize. Lots of local island culture (the I & I Reggae Bar is officially my favorite bar!), no crowds, great food, and personalized friendly attention. Everyone we talked to that went to Ambergris told us not to bother.

There is really no wade fishing around CC - it is all done on a skiff. I used Angler's Abroad and was very happy. Both Ken and Parnell have excellent reputations and it is clear why. A full day with lunch and beverages for 2 is $330 per boat ($250 half day) in March which for my first trip was worth it. I had the boat to myself but Angler's Abroad would set you up to share if you wanted.

There were plenty of bonefish to be had although they are smaller than places like Turneffe (lots of schools too which generally means smaller fish). On multiple days I saw some 6-8+ pounders hanging around Belize Diving Services docks but I didn't dare cast in between all of those pylons. I consistently got on a couple of schools of permit on numerous days too.

I will definitely be back but there are some others islands to the south and west where I must go to play first.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Is Chocolate still there? Alive? milt.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM

tandrin is on a distinguished road

I did not meet Chocolate, but if Chocolate is a dog I met many of his/her friends and possible relatives.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

No, Chocolate is not a dog, he ran a shuttle from Belize City to and from Caye Caulker for many years, and opened a guest house back in the early 90's. I found out he also helped found a manatee preserve there. I believe he is still alive, but he must be gettin' up there in age. milt.