The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Blogs > Ard Stetts

1. Old Comment

Gotta Find em Before You Can Hook em;

Since I posted this I have been really , really sick............. Some sort of flue, head - lungs - really bad, I haven't been back out but Boss and I are going tomorrow. That's Monday May 22nd.

It never fails, if I have time to fish something seems to get into the way. I had to cancel a guided trip this past Friday, I just couldn't do it.
  2. Old Comment

The Things We Leave On The Roof

Those flies were the worst loss in quite a while buddy, they were very well done and I had only used one of them. The real hurt came when I realized that I am one of, if not the only fly fishermen who use that boat launch. Bad enough losing them but to think of a bunch of bait slingers looking at the box like a couple chimps and saying, "Whatduya figure them things are?" That's the part that killed me.

I keep things pretty tight now, although I got to the river the other day and found out I had the wrong reel in my bag. Those darn Sage reels all come in the same cases, I just glanced at one to see that it was the right model and tossed it innto my tackle bag. It was the right model, 'Domain' but it was the wrong size. It was a small one for a 475 grain line and I needed a big one with a 600 on it...........

I had a reel with a 600 with me but it is not all that much fun to use. The reel has raised pillar construction and my running line is constantly caught on one or more of the pillars.
  3. Old Comment
  4. Old Comment

Well, at least you have an excuse! As a guide I imagine you have guys yaking it up with you while your gearing them up or down. I'm always worried I'm going to drive off with a rod tube or something under the truck or leaning on a tree. Christ ! I loose my keys once a day now or forget what i went into a room or the garage for half the time. Hey speaking of April V. she is going to be one of the presenters at this years Spey Nation NY - The event is atracting more people and vendors too from what they tell me but I thought the crowd looked a little thin last year. I hope I'm wrong ! Going up a day early to swing for small mouth.
  5. Old Comment

Hey Paul

I was just responding to the guy who lost his net and it got outta control as you see. It was roughly 32 or 33 years between my screw ups so if it only hits you every three decades you'll be safe. I'm really careful now, take my time and make sure all is safely packed.

About 4 seasons ago, maybe 5 I lost a box of fantastic tubes because I left them sit on the back corner of the boat when I pulled away from a launch area. Custom made by a guy who learned from April Vokey and there were 18 in the box That was unbearable. I've left 2 different Leatherman Waves on my bumper already also and after this past winters trips back and forth to the cabin I'm missing a third! I'm holding out hope it turns up but I know that the Gerber tool I dropped in the lake at Pike Cove is a gonner............ Weed beds are four foot thick there

I'm keeping real colse tabs on the rods these days.
  6. Old Comment

Your jinxing me Ard ! I have yet to leave a rod behind , hats, flashlights and a wading jacket but no big ticket items YET !!!
  7. Old Comment

It's not really that Big..............

Hi Jason,

Ever since we came home I have been nursing Boss. It seems that on our walks through the woods on the packed trails he stepped on enough Devil's Club to create a problem. The 'Club' as I call it, grows really tall and when there are only a couple foot of snow there is a lot of it protruding the surface. Boss just walks and he doesn't know the difference between the Club and any other sort of branch sticking out of the snow.

He began to hobble and with German Shepherds this is always troubling due to their proclivity developing hip disorders. He is almost twelve you know...... After a week or so he developed 2 very nasty sore spots between toes on his right rear foot and they were nasty.

His doctor told me that when a foreign object penetrates a dogs foot (especially between toes) that object will slowly work upward until it comes out (festers) as an inflamed and infected mess. 500 mg. of antibiotic twice a day and a 10 minute soak in Epsom Salts as warm as he can stand daily.

We're friends, boss and I and he can't do it himself so I've been on the job for a little over 2 weeks now. His medication runs out tomorrow morning but it is almost better / healed. Yesterday he was able to run and catch his Flippy for the first time in over a month! He too realized this was a victory and it was easy to see how happy he was to be able to do things again without pain.

We have a big season ahead of us and I was really worried. He is currently sleeping
  8. Old Comment

Going To A Very Cold Place

While something could always go wrong I do my best to wade carefully. If and when I feel that I may be pushing things a little I have one of those Simms carbon fiber wading staffs on the left side of my belt and I use it. Most times when I fish while there is ice it isn't as cold as that day, on this day it never warmed more than a couple degrees so I moved very slowly and with great care.

The very worst part came when I returned to the boat launch ramp. My waders were frozen solid so bending my legs to get out of the kayak was difficult, when I did try to push myself up so I could stand I kept falling back into the boat. It took a few attempts before I discovered that the seat of the boat was stuck to my numb butt. Each time I tried to stand something was stopping me. When I reached to my rear to see what was up, I found the seat frozen to my backside. A video of the disembarking exercise would have been pretty funny. Funny to watch but at the time with darkness encroaching rapidly my sense humor was running at an all time low for such things

The hardest part of that day was getting the boat loaded and myself warmed back to an acceptable level. While I was fishing I never noticed the cold.
  9. Old Comment

what would happen if you fell in Ard? looks awfully cold water to me!

cheers

Colin
  10. Old Comment

It's not really that Big..............

That is one happy looking dog Ard. I always enjoy reading your blog, posts, write ups and with photos they're even better. Especially when Boss is in them. What a rockstar!
  11. Old Comment

Unfortunate Situations;

Actually at this time of year the weather is about perfect. The nights are cold enough to set the snow up into a nice crust and the days go as high as 34*.

Around the cabin all the areas where you have driven the snowmachines become hard like concrete and you can walk around on several feet of snow in sneakers. You have to watch out by late afternoon if the temps go up toward 40 because the surface will become soft.

When things are difficult are during the periods where the temp has been low (-20) and it warms up and then snows. Sometimes it can snow so hard that you can't see to drive the Skidoo. Cloudy days are the worst days because the lighting is so poor you can't see obstructions on the frozen rivers. That sucks because I have to be very careful of how fast I travel. You can roll up on a very nasty ice berm and never see it coming due to lighting.
  12. Old Comment

How I Became A Fishing Guide;

You guys are too kind

JP, there's always a seat for you in the boat and at the cabin my friend.

Glen, by the time you make the trip I'll be done with commissioned fishing trips, that's good news for you buddy. Never hesitate to get in touch if you start considering seeing this place.

Ard
  13. Old Comment

More About Streamer Fishing; Part 1

Hi Paul,

Just because I don't own and use them does not mean I don't understand how they are used. Most of the casts are quartered sharply down stream and the swings are much shorter in the entire radius than the method I use myself.

I do not argue that the technique works, I've seen way too much evidence in results in person to ever say it dosen't work. The reason I do what I do is that I like to make things just a little more complex. I got myself into trouble once by saying that the way I fish makes me feel involved in the results. I went on to add that were I to use a short head with 15 feet of T-14 and a two foot tippet I would just be the guy holding the cork when a fish hit. In the end a fish is a fish, we are all free to choose how we try to hook them.

Remember the hidden warning in what I just said, I like to make things just a little more complex. At the end of the day that's why I wanted to take up fly rod fishing so long ago
  14. Old Comment

More About Streamer Fishing; Part 1

Ard, this is one of the things I can't understand about skagit or at least how I understand it used in PNW terms. How do you have any control over that the fly is doing if you just dump the fly on a heavy T a given distance above the target area ? skagit for me is used to move the larger/heavier flies I cant move with the skandi, the swing remains the same and there is no need to the long sections of T 14 and the like on the Salmon R. Am I not understanding the PNW method ?
  15. Old Comment

Tying On Shanks;

Is a straight hook important here ? how about those Allen salmon steelhead or other classic style ?
  16. Old Comment

Tying On Shanks;

Ard, the stuff I have is Surflon micro coated ultra - knotable stainless steel leader 1X19 , is this going to fold over and what about if I use the beads ? problem there I see is I loose the option to change hooks out right ?
  17. Old Comment

Unfortunate Situations;

[I just returned again from another 150 mile round trip over which I hauled out another 175 gallons of boat fuel for the coming season.]

For some reason I seem to think that everyone who lives in AK has a pile of snow and is frozen in there houses for the extent of the long winter there.
  18. Old Comment

Great words, great pictures thanks for sharing.
  19. Old Comment

Goodness me! Ard - That is real "combat" fishing!

I'm off to find a hot water bottle! (I don't know what they are called over there
  20. Old Comment

How I Became A Fishing Guide;

I really like your style Ard. I can see myself in your story. If I ever get the chance to head out to Alaska, you would be the first person I would contact just to shake your hand and maybe get some fishing in since I am in Alaska. Good luck with all in the future.

Glen