The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Blogs > Hardyreels

1. Old Comment

Bush Handyman Part Two;

This last run out there found the lake level up almost 2 feet above when I set that up. The lake is raised by the Yentna River, glacier melt plus rain in the mountains raises the river and the river pushes up Hewitt Creek and raises the lake to equilibrium.

The dock had lifted clear off the pipes so I'm going to drive 10 foot pipes in and leave 3 foot above water.........
  2. Old Comment

Cleaning The Logs and Chinking Cracks.

The trees were cut in 1999 and the logs stacked in 2001, it got the roof in 2003 and sat in that state until 2006 when I got it. Since then I've chipped away at improving it for 10 years.

It was my wife who, before we ever met who cut the spruce and skinned them. She hired local (bush) talent to stack the walls and another guy to put the tin roof on. Although I'm not a carpenter or log smith I possessed enough knowledge of general construction and finish work to bring it along.

Depending on how much time I can invest this summer and fall I may be ready to put carpet in the second floor this winter. It's came a long way.
  3. Old Comment

Cleaning The Logs and Chinking Cracks.

Very cool Ard. How old is the cabin?

Dan
  4. Old Comment

Bush Handyman Part Two;

That looks well thought out Ard. Unless in a protected cove a dock will take an awful beating occasionally. Your engineering will be thoroughly tested before fall.
  5. Old Comment

Bush Handyman Part Two;

I didn't think to take pictures at the height of the wind storm but by Wednesday things were calming down.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is where I anchored the boat to keep it from being slammed into the dock by the waves. I would say that at its worst the waves were 2.5 to almost 3 feet with crests driving against the boat and dock. The rocking almost tore the tie off cleats out of the docks planks!

6. Old Comment

Alaska Bush Handyman;

Hi Brian,

The place is a 75 mile boat trip off the road so it is pretty quite there. There are other cabins but we are all quiet types. Out there you don't haul things to town and discard them unless it is actual garbage, everything else will eventually come in handy.

The Fold A Wreak Sled' is not very good for hauling things on the snow due to design. The bumps cause it to collapse and you have to keep stopping. However it makes a good log sled for moving heavy logs winter or summer. In the storage shed I have many things that would go to the land fill at home but out there they can be used for parts or whatever............

The trick of using the 2 old sleds seemed like the best way to move something that large down a slope and in this case it went without a hitch.
  7. Old Comment

Alaska Bush Handyman;

Jealous

Man , It looks so nice and peaceful out there. I can certainly see the attraction.

Nice creative way to get that dock down to the water. I hope someday to have a scenic place like that. Would love if it was in Alaska but I will settle for remote wyoming.
  8. Old Comment

Bush Handyman Part Two;

Hi John,

I'll get everything done before you get here so you can concentrate on the fishing The anchor system got a workout beginning Monday evening, the wind came up to the extent I had to take the boat away from the dock. Waves of about 2.5 feet were bashing the boat against the dock and just battering things to pieces. I take it into the wind then drop the anchor. Once she is set you let out line until the transom is about 6 feet from shore, tie it off and climb out then wade to shore. Without the boat the dock stood the wind and waves. I left it anchored off until Wednesday evening when the wind finally died down. I felt good about the work because it stood over 48 hours of abuse right off the bat. I was concerned that I had just finished it on Sunday and faced the possibility of it being damaged by Tuesday........
  9. Old Comment

Bush Handyman Part Two;

Fine work, pretty ingenious thinking too. Cannot wait to love that damn dog up, sure like him too.
  10. Old Comment

Alaska Bush Handyman;

Lookin' good, Buddy! I'd be more than happy to help you with some projects while I'm there.
  11. Old Comment
  12. Old Comment

It's About Time & Eagles & Cold Nights;

Here are a couple that left me get close......

13. Old Comment

It's About Time & Eagles & Cold Nights;

I should mention that most of the scenery shown in the first music slide show I actually visited the areas and photographed myself in 1998 while traveling back and forth to Alaska. A stop in Jasper was on my list because of hearing about the place in John's song.

I've been a lot of places,

Ard
  14. Old Comment

We Don't Get This Way Overnight; Part Two

Thank you Henry, I've never forgotten the day or all of the events of that day. As I write this I can still see the wildflowers that were growing around the old mans log perch. It's been 38 years since I have fished that stretch of Little Pine Creek, funny how the day made such a difference.

In the years since I've logged many thousands of miles away and fished so many places that I don't remember the names of some creeks but I remember that one. I miss dry fly fishing, I actually had gotten pretty good at it while still honing the streamer skills that I use so often. Here in Alaska I very seldom have the chance to fish during a hatch and when they do occur I generally keep swinging a streamer through the area.

I was surprised to find your comment here and do appreciate that you took the time to read the story.

Ard
  15. Old Comment

We Don't Get This Way Overnight; Part Two

Ard, that was just fantatic!
  16. Old Comment

Finally Got Something Done ..........

Yes they are for lighting, I'm going to put 4 flush mount ceiling lights in with either a fish or bear & moose motif on them. The box in the center of the bridge will have a hangie down type light with the same motif. Up stairs there is a small ceiling fan centered over the bridge to circulate the heat in winter.

I got the go ahead to take our current living room furnishings out there Dark leather couch and recliner. That will fit right in because they are well worn. I have some bed room furniture for upstairs also that I have to move out there.

I never weighed the freight sled but will bet it weighs around 350 pounds or more. I can't put it on a flat bed alone.
  17. Old Comment

Excellent work as usual Ard. Two questions... are the holes in the ceiling for recessed lighting? And what does the sleigh weigh empty?
  18. Old Comment

Saw A Thread Asking About Tying Leaders;

Hey Steve,

It is always good to know that some things I have adopted over the years are helpful to others. When I get a good feed back like you and the others have left me it inspires me to continue trying to be useful.
  19. Old Comment

Hi Paul,

When I married Nancy she mentioned a "cabin" but we had never been there. Winter of 2006 we went. She had the idea that she was going to have a log cabin out on Hewitt Lake. It was she who went and helped a guy she hired to cut and sled spruce trees to the building site. It was she who skinned the logs and the hired helpers stacked the walls and built the beam truss over them. Then it sat for a few years. When she got the tin roofing barged out around 2004 she hired a different bush person to put the tin over the sheeting. Then it sat for a few more years.

When I went there in 2006 it was -25 every day and it was impossible to keep the place much above 40* no matter how much wood you burned. When I went back in the spring by boat I found that the land around the cabin was strewn with stumps and birch logs from every tree that had been cut to facilitate building there. They were big logs and the bush and Devil's Club were grown right up to the building. You could not see any of that in winter with 6 feet of snow. To me it was obvious that the work had to start outside. I didn't turn attention inside until there was a 1 acre area around the building cleared and I had power washed - sanded and finished the log walls. Then I chinked inside and out. Then I began insulating and etc. etc.

Because I was not on the original foundation team I will be taking 1200 pounds of concrete mix yet this winter. I will replace 3 railroad tie piers with sauna tubes with a heavy all thread rod and steel plate so I can level the place as needed year to year..............

A place like this is an ongoing job, because of where it is, the weather and the bush there is no such thing as done.
  20. Old Comment

Hey Ard , did you frame this from ground up all by yourself ?
    Footings ? This is remote access right ? did you haul all that material up by sled ? I'm impressed Dude , nice job !