The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Blogs > Hardyreels

1. Old Comment

I'm still around but...........

Ard: Over the past 30 years of fly fishing I have hired a lot of guides, but have never seen anyone work as hard as you do. Normally, a day with a guide down here starts with meeting at the fly shop at 8 am and then we hit the river and return to the fly shop somewhere around 5 pm. Those guys have it easy compared to what you are doing!
    Note to self: Next winter, remind Ard to tie four times the number of flies that he thinks he will need the following summer.
  2. Old Comment

Super interesting to read! Good on ya.
  3. Old Comment

I hope those clients put up those comments on your site and reviews on the web, high praise for sure! milt
  4. Old Comment

I'd can't say that I'm surprised Ard. That's great to hear those kinds of things and I'm sure very rewarding when you do hear them. Especially given your concern about those two clients. Keep up the great work and your head up even when you have those not so good days. Remember, you're making memories that will last a lifetime!
  5. Old Comment

I just received an e-mail from some fellows who were with me 2 days last week. Here's a quote pulled from the text; "We will be back again to bag a big king for sure. Thanks for all your hard work. You are the hardest working guide we've ever gone fishing with by far and we really enjoyed it" The fellow who wrote that caught 7 salmon but the largest one was only about 10 pounds........

That's just what I wanted to hear
  6. Old Comment

Hi Milt,

Yes that was unfortunate timing for sure. Sometimes when I am alone I start to believe I couldn't catch a fish if you threw it to me and when other anglers fate just puts my fly directly in the face of the fish. Conditions where I'm fishing are tough, the water is stained with tannin and after about 3' of depth you have no chance to sight a fish. Conversely the fly must get close enough to the fish in order to be seen.........

I'm out again Tuesday and another angler will have his chance at them then.

Ard
  7. Old Comment

My good friend always hooks his biggest browns when demonstrating nymphing techniques to his mother, not even trying to catch 'em. milt
  8. Old Comment

Thanks Jason for the encouraging words,

One of the hardest things is that even the experienced fly fishers are mostly trout fishers. They see a salmon roll or porpoise on the surface and they want to cast to is as if it were a rising trout. I explain as best I can what they are seeing and that we must move about 20 yards upstream of where the fish displayed and get the sink & swing down and correct and then work down to where the fish actually is but they have a hard time digesting the principle of that approach. Even from upstream they want to immediately reach down to where the fish showed............

Catching these fish on the fly is a cross between wet fly fishing & mathematics. It's a radius velocity problem with several unknowns you must solve for. Current speed - depth and unless you can actually see the target you must guess where the fish could be. There are accidental hookups in the most obvious of spots but on a whole it is a game of deep thought and most importantly casting & line control.

The river we're fishing is low and warming due to lack of rain and the fish are like a light switch turning on and off. There may be a 30 minute period of great activity and then an hour or more of absolute quite. During the lull you would swear there are no fish in the river. When they turn on the surface is a boil with displaying salmon. Those short spans of activity are when all the fish sense that I have tried to share must be applied.......

I have a trip on Tuesday so we give it another go. Tomorrow I'm changing out the wear ring & intake on the motor and making flies tonight and tomorrow night. These guys lose more flies in a day than I do in a season.

Don't worry, those tubes you sent are mine buddy
  9. Old Comment

Hey Ard,

It sure sounds like your business is falling into place, that's great to hear. I know you've been logging long hours and watching people fail attempting to catch and land salmon has got to be frustrating and somewhat upsetting, but know this. Those memories you are creating for your clients will last a lifetime!

Be delighted every day your office is such a beautiful place. Many of us, mine included have a workspace at a desk in front of a computer!

Last but not least, your post here is very enlightening for those interested in the possibilities of guiding. There are going to be good days and rough days, it can't be as glamorous as the stereotype calls it to be. Hang in there buddy, good days are ahead I'm certain of that! Here's to continued success!

Jason
  10. Old Comment

Still Working on The Cabin;

Ard,

Your cabin is really coming along well! From the looks of things, it's no wonder we haven't seen you much on the forum over the past few weeks. You Boss and the Misses have been BUSY! Your hard work looks great, looks to be very cozy there. The picture of Boss making his way down the steps is priceless.

Thanks for taking the time to post another entry and best of luck to you this salmon season!
  11. Old Comment

Still Working on The Cabin;

That looks great Ard, alot safer now. Too bad Boss can't bring stuff up the ladder!
  12. Old Comment

More About Streamer Fishing; Part 1

Fishing Forums, books, fishing websites on the internet are helpful to learn about fishing equipment, catching a fish. It is a great place for fisherman shares their experience and guide the best for new beginners.
  13. Old Comment

It's About Time & Eagles & Cold Nights;

Hi Joe,

So happy to see you back and thank you for leaving me a message.

Ard
  14. Old Comment

More About Streamer Fishing; Part 2

Excellent insights. Hope you have a good winter; stay safe and warm.
    Joe
  15. Old Comment

It's About Time & Eagles & Cold Nights;

Great story, as always. I live on a lake in central Maine -- it used to have 2 pairs of osprey living around it but about 6 years ago a pair of bald eagles moved in and the battles began. The whirling acrobats performed by those birds as they fought over fish and territory sounds very similar to what you described. The osprey have moved on; the eagles come back each year and raise one or two young, who eventually move on themselves. You describe what you see very well; thanks for it.
    Joe
  16. Old Comment

Thanks for the posts Ard. Lots of helpful tips.

Scott
  17. Old Comment
  18. Old Comment

Mother moose Shot in Denali Park, 2 Calves Orphaned;

The retired Chief of Police in Ishpeming did the same thing and a little more.
  19. Old Comment

Good tips, always something to learn from you Ard. milt
  20. Old Comment