The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Blogs > mbphotos54

1. Old Comment

Allen Gear ready

It looks very nice, very colorful indeed. Is this smooth enough to word?? homes for lease New York NY
  2. Old Comment

Bit of a NAFFF meet up

Nice underwater video! Fantastic!
  3. Old Comment

the hunt begins

Good luck
  4. Old Comment

fresh fish

Hi Mike,

Sometimes 3 fish in 4 hours isn't bad
  5. Old Comment

Bit of a NAFFF meet up

Hi Mike,

Very cool that you guys can get together like this, I could not get audio on the video but I got the idea. Would have been cool to see some Spey casting, who's using the long stick?
  6. Old Comment

first catch on my own fly

It's a cool moment when the first fish is caught on a fly you created...Congrats

Dave
    Posted 03-01-2012 at 06:07 PM by littledavid123 littledavid123 is offline
  7. Old Comment

first catch on my own fly

One of the great moments in a fishermans history . Doesn't get any better than that.
  8. Old Comment

Derby City Fly Fishers meet up recap

Nice pictures and entry Mike, a very pretty creek and that exposed bedrock strata has me wondering, do you do any fossil hunting? I have a regular rock hound bag, an old WWII era map & document pouch that holds my rock hammers and chisels along with some newspaper to wrap goodies in after collection. You are in a good location for some good finds. Just looking at the outcrop I am hazarding a guess that it is late Mesozoic (cretaceous) period and early Tertiary period deposition. It may be much younger but my guess is that there will be some stuff in that area.

The streamer you got the fish on looked like a Light Spruce, what was it?
  9. Old Comment
  10. Old Comment

Allen Gear ready

tested Xa Rod

well I took the xa 8wt out for a casting session at the pond,, I say it that way because no fish were caught. I will say this about the 10ft xa it has smooth action and potenitial for great distance, but not with the line Im using. I got the allen 8wt line on the xmas deal and although very smooth casting it felt like it wouldnt shoot like my cv2 6wt line, I think I will try the Rio Grand line I was recommended by Evan from Allen, but first I will test my 6wt cv2 line on the Xa and see it that helps since I am used to casting it. But I can tell even with only one season behind me that this rod will be a canon once I get the line right.

Mike

ps, was a rather strange wind today also, but I dont think that was as much of a factor.
  11. Old Comment

Crazy weather..

Well today was a bust, it had rained more then I thought it was going to and the creek was high. might try again this weekend. I gotta fish any chance I get because I know winter will hit one of these days.
  12. Old Comment

Fresh trout

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Comment
    Hares Ear Nymph size 12 or 14. This is a close match to the pellet food they get at hatcheries. A turn of lead on the hook before dubbing the hair will ensure a nice 'plop' when it lands. They actually should respond to the sound and sight of the nymph hitting the surface.

good luck,

Ard
    thanks, I tryed a small bead head with no result yet, not sure whats its called but it was working the other day. hope to get back at them wednesday.
  13. Old Comment

Fresh trout

Hares Ear Nymph size 12 or 14. This is a close match to the pellet food they get at hatcheries. A turn of lead on the hook before dubbing the hair will ensure a nice 'plop' when it lands. They actually should respond to the sound and sight of the nymph hitting the surface.

good luck,

Ard
  14. Old Comment

30 mph winds..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Comment
    Sometimes wind can be your friend. Like a heavy drizzle the wind disrupts the smooth surface and thus limits the fishes ability to detect your movements. This allows for you to get much closer to a casting target and so cuts down on the length of the cast. Unless that 30 mph wind is blowing on a 37* day I wouldn't hesitate to go get them.

perhaps, its not that cold yet here. I just dont care to fight the wind if theres an option. been getting in some good kite flying.
  15. Old Comment

30 mph winds..

Sometimes wind can be your friend. Like a heavy drizzle the wind disrupts the smooth surface and thus limits the fishes ability to detect your movements. This allows for you to get much closer to a casting target and so cuts down on the length of the cast. Unless that 30 mph wind is blowing on a 37* day I wouldn't hesitate to go get them.
  16. Old Comment

30 mph winds..

Bend down the bards and you can fish in the wind...lol
    Posted 10-15-2011 at 08:28 AM by littledavid123 littledavid123 is offline
  17. Old Comment

Short trip to the creek with Grandpa

Click the image to open in full size.

thanks, He didnt take the photos, my mom did with my slr while keeping an eye on him and grandma, which were both in wheelchairs. was a good time, I wish I could ave kept one of the fish on the hook..
  18. Old Comment

Hi Mike,

So............the picture was taken by your Grandfather? I'll bet he enjoyed having you go with him, I've been trying to get ready for what it'll be like to be older. I say that because at just short of 57 I see the difference when I go trout fishing. I'm used to sneaking around and crawling / creeping through the bushes to get position and every year it is harder to do. I still do it but I cover a lot less ground than I did 25 years ago, heck even just ten years ago it was easier.

You're a good fellow for taking time for the old guy and I know he loves you for it.

Ard
  19. Old Comment

Kudos for taking your Granpa with you.

Dave
    Posted 09-01-2011 at 01:25 PM by littledavid123 littledavid123 is offline
  20. Old Comment

great day on the river again,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Comment
    Mike

Have you started tying your own flies yet?

Dave
    I have not, maybe this winter I will.