The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Blogs > fatdaddy

1. Old Comment

Cheap Cheap Cheap

About stream size and learning; most folks are better off standing far from shore or at least with an open shoreline behind them while learning to cast & fish. Once you have the general idea of the mechanics of casting I would tell a fellow to find himself a short rod (6'6" is nice) and after matching up reel & line, go find a nice quiet small stream.

Small streams require control. We can't just start wading and throwing casts around on small creeks, we must stop and think a bit. When I say small I mean those alder and willow choked little runs ranging between ten and 15' across with even tighter spots along their channels. You generally won't be finding anyone else there and if you're in trout country there will be fish in them.

A small stream will teach you everything about a river. The geology (fluvial geology) will be the same as any large and brawling river but it is present in a sort of macro mode and therefore much easier to understand how the water works in relation to the land and channel structure. You will learn where the fish like to be and this does not change when you transition to a larger river system. Above all you will learn to be sneaky and to cast carefully. This does not change when you fish big waters either. I am careful wherever I fish whether it's a tiny brook or a river and I know where the fish should be. All this I owe to small creeks not to articles I read about fishing.

Some of the very best days I've ever had came on little creeks where a 13" trout can be as exciting and magnificent as a 20 pound salmon. Where you could sit hidden in the boulders and brush and watch a pair of Scarlet Tanager's hop from rock to rock picking mayflies off the rocks and vegetation just 10 feet away............. I could go on and on but this is your blog spot, not mine so I'll let it where we're at.

Save to say that while I believe that having some room for orientation is good when you begin, the hidden gems and the sage knowledge lurk in those tight little channels and among the bushes where not everyone will tread.

Ard
  2. Old Comment

Good times and rough water

Sounds like you're getting it down pretty well.

Ard
  3. Old Comment

The Unseen Good

Well that was a good piece of reading, I'm happy to have found my way to this and relate very well with what you have put forth in your words. I could say that fly fishing changed my life but in retrospect, it made my life. I hope you'll find time to post to threads when you feel like it.

Ard
  4. Old Comment

Cheap Cheap Cheap

Price of your gear does not equal results. I have 2 9' 7 weight Quarrow rods that I paid about 48 dollars apiece for and have caught many really nice salmon on the one I use.

You're home water sounds like good streamer water to me. I'll come back and add more comment as I have time.

Ard
  5. Old Comment

Cheap Cheap Cheap

There is no "perfect stream" for fly fishing, one learns to fish the water available. Thru trial and error your knowledge grows as does your luck catching fish.

Dave
    Posted 08-11-2012 at 10:34 PM by littledavid123 littledavid123 is offline
  6. Old Comment

Well...****.

Absolutely, thanks for the info!
  7. Old Comment

Well...****.

Hi fat Daddy,

The reason you may not be getting viewers and comments is that you chose to make the blog private. The only way I am reading and able to comment is because I am an administrator here and so have access to even the locked pages. The regular members can't access this page. You can change that in the blog controls if you want.

Ard