The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Blogs > random user

1. Old Comment
  2. Old Comment

Starling & Herl Soft Hackle, et al., & Co. (1)

I agree these flies look amazing for the price. On Allen hooks I think these cost about 20 cents to tie. Tying the hackle feather in at the tip is MUCH easier on these smallish feathers.

I have successfully tied the base model on a #16. So far only a #14 if I use dubbing. One more size down and I will be satisfied. The larger ones look like they have panfish potential. I can't help but wonder about a beadhead. BHs are very hot here now and I can't help but wonder.
  3. Old Comment

ia trouter,
    The tails need to be short on these for some reason. Definitely keep them less than a hook gape. Oh, You can find some short, fine marabou stuff near the quill on most saddles, etc. The hackle length isn't so important, if you end up with it really long, collar back kind of tight and sort of veil the body, but give it room to move around a little.

qzarboni,
    not a problem. If you have questions, ask. They're pretty simple and pretty hard to tie badly enough that they won't draw some attention. Start with #12's and work your way down. #14's and #16's out produce the 12's, but I generally tie a couple #12 at the beginning just to get my fingers working. Best thing about them is they are cheap, quick and easy to tie, so I don't care if I hang them up, so I fish more tightly to sweepers and the like.
  4. Old Comment

Thanks for posting

I am new to fly tying, so thank you for the instructions. I will be attempting to tie these patterns tonight.
  5. Old Comment

Thanks for posting this Random. Just finished my first attempt in a #12. It's a good looking fly, though it definitely has some differences from yours as I don't know my feather type terminology yet. My hackle is shorter than yours, my tail a little too long. Mine looks like it might catch a panfish. Back to the vise for another attempt!
  6. Old Comment

Fur On Hide Processing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Comment
    A great and useful post, thanks for sharing. I had always assumed the process was more tedious than you described for preserving a hide with fur on.

Dave
    It's pretty quick even the first time you do it. Small sharp knife that is comfortable to hold is the only, trick, if there is a trick. It's all about getting the hide clean and dry as soon of possible. Moisture in the enemy with any fur on thing.

Brain tanning (aka braining) fur on is a more complicated and longer process but still not too bad. Again this is a speed thing.

Full on brain tanning, aka 'buckskin', is a much more messy, smelly, labor intensive thing. Step one in this is letting the hide rot slightly in a 'bucking" or 'lime-ing' solution to remove the hair, fur and some epidermis. This is what you are watch when you see someone standing and sweating in front of a hide scraping the hair off. It's a lot of time and effort. It's also why a brained deerskin runs in the $300-$500 range, and you need four of them to make a good shirt.
  7. Old Comment

Fur On Hide Processing

Good post. My father in law is a taxidermist and he pretty much does the same thing.
  8. Old Comment

Fur On Hide Processing

A great and useful post, thanks for sharing. I had always assumed the process was more tedious than you described for preserving a hide with fur on.

Dave
    Posted 10-02-2013 at 11:53 PM by littledavid123 littledavid123 is online now
  9. Old Comment

Relearning to tie.

I just started learning how to tie articulated flies on shanks. They have a trailing hook and I am struggling also. I have never been fast at making flies unless they were hairs ear or something simple so don't worry about speed, I don't.

I just found your blog, I'll subscribe and keep up with you here,

Ard
  10. Old Comment

Rod Building Notes

This is a good check list for people to view, when you see a post asking questions about re-finishing you should paste a link to this entry for them. To do that just open the blog, go up to the url address bar and copy. Then go to the thread with the question - right click and paste the link.

This is good,

Ard