The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Central

Central Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 10:14 PM

brucered is on a distinguished road
Default 4 Threads in 4 years for MB/SK

come on Manitoban's, where the heck are you?

there must be some fly fishing fanatics up here, right?

i need some local tips, tricks and techiniques so i am ready to come come spring time.

where is everyone fishing in MB?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM

greatcanadian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4 Threads in 4 years for MB/SK

Hey Bruce,
Glad to see you made it here!! So how are you feeling about the Allen gear now? Are you please with what you're reading?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcanadian View Post
Hey Bruce,
Glad to see you made it here!! So how are you feeling about the Allen gear now? Are you please with what you're reading?
yeah. i'll pull the trigger on the 5/6 rod and 5/6 XL reel. hopefully soon. and get him to throw on some line for me at the same time. then come spring, i can just head out and give it a try.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM

sixweight will become famous soon enoughsixweight will become famous soon enough

I like the 5/6 and 7/8 XL reels that I got. Worth it for the price. I was lucky enough to have fished last week-end. Got some nice Rainbows in the 4/5 lb range. Water temp was 42F (5C).
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixweight View Post
I like the 5/6 and 7/8 XL reels that I got. Worth it for the price. I was lucky enough to have fished last week-end. Got some nice Rainbows in the 4/5 lb range. Water temp was 42F (5C).
nice. where were you catching them?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 AM

sixweight will become famous soon enoughsixweight will become famous soon enough

In Greenwater Lake Park. Looks like it's snowed in now.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM

smudger564 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smudger564

Hi Brucered, Iv'e been thinking the same thing about you guys. Where are you all.

I posted a thread on the Canada forums, a while ago with very little repsonse.

I know Canada is a vast unspoilt wilderness, where everyone would like to live and fish their lives out. You must be out fishing??

Best Regards

Stuart
Shropshire, UK
Old 12-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudger564 View Post
Hi Brucered, Iv'e been thinking the same thing about you guys. Where are you all.

I posted a thread on the Canada forums, a while ago with very little repsonse.

I know Canada is a vast unspoilt wilderness, where everyone would like to live and fish their lives out. You must be out fishing??

Best Regards

Stuart
Shropshire, UK
yeah, i'm new to flyfishing, actually don't even have my gear yet. i have an order in with ALLEN for an alpha 5/6 reel and a 6wt rod. no rush thought, we have about 3' of snow and the rivers are all frozen solid.

hope to catch a few with it this year camping.

and now, i wasn't out fishing today, but shoveling and putting up christmas lights
Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 AM

I'm in Saskatchewan but fish a lot in Manitoba. I think the fishery there is among the best in the world. For pure Trophy Fishing, Patterson Lake near Oakburn is hard to beat for Browns and Rainbows. This lake has a One-Fish limit of 45 cm (17 1/2 inches). Duck Mountain Provincial Park is a Fly Fishing Paradise. Twin Lakes has a catch/release Tiger Trout fishery. Farther north, Barbe Lake is another Trophy Lake that recently gave up a 16.5 lb Brook Trout. I've had 40-fish days on Barbe. Whiteshell River has some nice Rainbows and Brooks. You can even fly fish for Lake Trout in Clearwater lake in the spring and fall. If you are going in the spring, you are in for a treat.
I'll be there for sure. Most of the fly fishers are on this forum:
Fly Fishing Manitoba - Home
Old 01-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Northern Minnesota, on Lake of the Woods. It shares a portion of the Lake with Manitoba. I think more people in Canada might fly fish if they fished for more than just Trout. I have a friend who lives on the Ontario side of the Rainy River, and I got him started on fly fishing. He fishes for Walleyes and Smallmouth. I hope one day he will fish for Pike too. You guys have a lot of different species there that seem to be being missed by the fly fisherman you have. Notice the Canadian guy at time 3:15 in this video. Nice Walleye eh?