The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Charity Fundraising

Charity Fundraising Let people know about fishing related charity fundraising here.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tie more flies than you can fish? Donate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
yeah, not sure if my 1000's of flies will last me... Larry, 6 dozen! you must be efficient!

I am donating a dozen 'purple headed warriors' (winter warrior with purple thread and collar).

EDIT(wow, you guys are awesome. I had a feeling the folks here would want to help out)
TB: I'm hardly efficient, but being retired I have the time to grind them out, plus it always helps to get better the more you do something repetitively. Earlier I had contacted the gal that runs the Wyoming CFR program and volunteered to be a river helper at next year's program in Dubios, WY. She mentioned that last year one of the volunteers had donated six dozen flies to the participants so I told her I would tie up some flies for her this year. So far I have tied a dozen foam ants, a dozen thread ants, and a dozen foam beetles using that "oil slick" material Joni posted awhile back (boy is that a prolific fish catcher). I'm also planning on a dozen deer-hair beetles (another amazing fish magnet), a dozen elk hair caddis and a dozen parachute adams. I had a terrific summer using those patterns so I figured they would be perfect for the CFR program that is done in WY in mid-July (as I recall). I usually don't attempt tying dries as they are so hard with my eyesight, but thought I would give it a go. My normal tying is midges, nymphs and streamers and I just buy the dries. If I get the planned flies done early I might also throw in a couple dozen nymphs, something simple like pheasant tials, hare's ear and rainbow warriors.........all very effective almost everywhere for trout.

Larry
imxer likes this.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not like Larry "the tying machine"but will try to tie some dries
Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Here is a form to get in touch with the organizer.
Form

That way he can organize what flies he needs. He is offering to match flies donated with his own. I offered a few sizes and flies and he got back to me saying which would be best for his groups.

As Ard mentioned, there may be a group that is operating much more locally to wherever you are. Might be worth following Ard's link on the original post to help out local organizations.

I am tying 'purple heart rainbow warriors', thought it was fitting!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Tevis looks like the only one collecting flys at this point are in your area . I'm going to use the form you posted as a donation is a donation no matter where it ends up as long as it's going to the vets! Good thing this is!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting this, I tie many more than I need. I am not the best and certainly not a professional, but they can do with them what they want and I am sure the matching flies will be of the highest quality.

I talked with their representatives at the FFF convention in Spokane this year and offered to help taking the vets out, but the rep said they prefer other vets for that because they can relate to what they have been through, and I certainly understand that. This program looks like a way anyone can help.
mcnerney and tbblom like this.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Here is a form to get in touch with the organizer.
Form

He is offering to match flies donated with his own.
Well it's already going easier than mine did. What flies was he saying they used most?

I just filled out the form so again, already easier.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:01 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

bump

here are the flies I am working on:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

What a good idea I know there will be many who will Donate Flies,after checking The Site out once again,I noticed a Chapter in Australia.
A very good Organisation where dedicated people help others less mobile or furtunate.
I'll check to see what extra Flies I have tied & hopefully can also Tie some more for this great cause.

Brian..
Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I clicked on Ard's link that he inserted on the first post and scrolled down to the Rocky Mountain Coordinator for PHW and sent Gary Spuhler a message and explained that I had offered to volunteer for the Wyoming CFR program as a river helper and send them six dozen flies. He got right back to me and said that they have Wyoming PHW programs in Sheridan, Cheyenne and Casper. They have a professional tier that provides flies for the Sheridan group but said they could use flies for the Cheyenne and Casper group, so I told him what flies I was doing up for the CFR group and said he would gladly take the same if I could do some for them and also sent my name and contact information to the Cheyenne and Casper group leaders to see if they need volunteers next summer. So it looks like I will tie up another six dozen for the Wyoming PHW program and maybe the timing will work out next summer where I can volunteer to help out with the Wyoming PHW program.

If you want to help out the Rocky Mountain PHW program here is the contact information for their regional coordinator:

Rocky Mountain CO, MT, ND, SD, WY
Gary Spuhler, Regional Coordinator
rockymt@projecthealingwaters.org

Larry

Old 10-29-2012, 04:37 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Streamers mailed out today. Hope they help the cause!
mcnerney likes this.