The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Coldwater Articles

Coldwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Fly Fishing Beaver Ponds - by Michael Russell

[img2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/files/4-BeaverPond.jpg[/img2]Fly Fishing Beaver Ponds
by Michael Russell

Since the water is slow, clear and shallow, the fish seem to be extra skittish. This means you need to practice extra caution to have any luck. If you can see the fish in a beaver pond, more than likely they can see you, too. All but the very small and gullible fish will retreat to safety. Avoid the overwhelming temptation to walk up to the pond to spot the fish.

Instead, keep a low profile and delicately cast to any rising fish or bulges you see in the water. Be sure to concentrate your efforts on the pond's inlet, the main stream channel, the deeper water at the dam itself and any other good holding water you may notice. Since beaver ponds offer such an abundance of food, the majority of trout will feed on the surface only when there is a large hatch in progress. Some of the smaller fish may feed on the stray bugs, but for the most part they will be eating nymphs under the surface of the water.

I like to stand just below the actual beaver dam and cast into the deep water behind it. It's easy to sneak up on the fish from here and you don't need much line to present your fly. This will usually yield a fish or two, but it is a tough place to fish (although there really aren't any easy places in a beaver pond). Most of the time, you will either snag your fly on a piece of wood or hook a fish that beelines to its shelter under the dam. Whatever the case, plan on losing lots of flies.

I will never forget the time I hooked a large native cutthroat trout in a small beaver pond in Colorado. Again, I approached the pond just under the dam and hooked it on my first cast, which is often the case in beaver ponds.

After a rather lengthy battle, I finally got the fish within arm's reach when the unthinkable happened. The fish made one final run, but this time dove below the dam and tangled itself around large piece of wood. I tried my best to untangle the leader, but to no avail. I had to snap the tippet. With a long branch, I reached the line and pulled the fish up to the surface of the water.

Besides a sly approach, the key to successful fishing on beaver ponds is to give them a break. Unless it's a huge pond, don't plan on fishing more than 10 to 20 minutes before all the fish are spooked. Instead, catch a few trout, give it a break then come back. I usually fish a beaver pond pretty heavily when I first get there and then break for a half-hour or so. During this time, I usually have lunch, take a nap (ah, fishing!) or more likely fish my way up the creek until I hit another pond. If there are several beaver ponds in one area, as is often the case, some of the best fishing can be in the channels that connect them. Concentrate on these channels while you give the ponds a break.

Michael Russell
Your Independent guide to Fishing
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Michael_Russell

Old 03-15-2007, 04:17 PM

mikerault is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Fishing Beaver Ponds - by Michael Russell

Great article! Makes me want to go find some here in Georgia, but I wonder if the water would be too warm?

Mike
Old 03-15-2007, 08:25 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

The first trout I ever caught were from a beaver pond...nice little native brookies. Caught them on hoppers and a cane pole with bobber.

I was only 12 yrs old. I still see those fish in my mind's eye.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 03-19-2007, 05:09 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Up here in Northern Maine we have some of the largest and most numerous beaver ponds you could imagine. They are everywhere....but grossly underfished...they are nearly impossible to get into with a boat or canoe. By and large these "perfect" trout waters get overlooked..no boat ramp. But hike up the brook from a road crossing and float the pond in a belly boat or float tube......heaven. No tourists..no competition..awesome fishing and big trout.

Life is Good!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
Up here in Northern Maine we have some of the largest and most numerous beaver ponds you could imagine. They are everywhere....but grossly underfished...they are nearly impossible to get into with a boat or canoe. By and large these "perfect" trout waters get overlooked..no boat ramp. But hike up the brook from a road crossing and float the pond in a belly boat or float tube......heaven. No tourists..no competition..awesome fishing and big trout.

Life is Good!!!!!
I'm packing up my stuff right now and heading your way........*LOL*
Oh it's only Monday....

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

What are your vacation plans this summer? I'm taking the guides test sometimethis summer.... but because we are talking now. I would love to have you come up "unguided" and turn you on to some excellant fishing. Bring your family and see what the northwoods looks like. If it sound great let me know ....... I can even send you some maps and stuff of where you can fish.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"