The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Coldwater Articles

Coldwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default The Old Man And His Bluegills

The Old Man and His Bluegills
I started fishing a little lake just south of Somerset, Ohio, called Clouse Lake about 35 years ago. Matter of fact, when I first started fishing it, I fished with a fly rod. One day, I was fishing and noticed this older gentleman trying to get a little plastic boat on his car after a hard day's fishing. He was using a fly rod too. We began chatting and discovered we lived about 10 miles from one another. He lived in Pleasantville.

[img2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/geek/gars/images/4/thumb_ManCastingCloseUp.jpg[/img2]As the conversation closed, he said he would call me sometime and we would go fishing together. I thought "Yeah, I bet he calls me". Imagine my surprise when he called two days later and wanted to know if I wanted to go fishing with him the next day.

Earl and I became good friends, we fished Clouse many times and about every other place that we could find, that held water. He was an excellent fly fisherman. There was only one thing wrong with Earl, he liked to catch bluegill. Actually, he loved catching Bluegill. He showed me how to clean bluegills in a matter of seconds. Here is how he did it. First, he got out his board and filet knife. He would scale the fish. Second, He would cut around the head but not clear through. He would leave just a piece of meat right under the head. Then he would twist the head and pull and the whole insides would come out at one time. He could clean bluegill faster than anyone I have ever seen.

One day, I got teasing Earl about fishing for bluegill, I told him the only reason anyone would fish for bluegill is because they couldn't catch a bass. I have to admit, I had seen him catch bass on his flyrod while fishing for bluegill. Anyway, Earl said to me that he could catch bass anytime he wanted. I just laughed. So, Earl put on a little bigger fly and threw it about a dozen times and out comes a bass. Not only was it a bass but it weighed about 6 and 1/2 pounds. He just looked at me and smiled, never said a word, then threw it back. I was dumbfounded, to say the least. He then went and tied his little fly back on and fished for bluegill some more. I sat in shock the rest of the day.

I learned two lessons that day, one was never to run my mouth about people who like to fish for bluegill and the second was, right when you think you have the bull by the horns, some old fellow is going to show you different. By the way, I never teased Earl about his bluegill fishing again. Earl passed away not too long after that, I was one of the last people he asked for. I miss you my friend.

Did you know a large mouth bass and black bass really are not a bass? They are in the sunfish family.

Clouse Lake is on RT668 out of Somerset, Ohio. There are some nice bass there and I have seen some in the 5 pound range taken right below the dam. There is a boat ramp on the south side of the lake...a smaller boat is more suitable.

Charles E. White has fished for almost 50 years for bass from California to Florida. In his lifetime, it is estimated that he has caught over 6,000 bass. His biggest bass is a 12 pound 14 ounce that hangs on his wall in his office.

Charles has fished with people who have never fished for bass before and taught them how to become successful anglers and also has fished with the Pros in Florida.

His new website about fishing for bass is at:
http://www.bassfishingweekly.com.

Article Source: Charles White - EzineArticles.com Expert Author
brucerducer and troutchaser8 like this.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM

Bob Lang will become famous soon enoughBob Lang will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Old Man And His Bluegills

Charles,

I enjoyed the short article. It brought back memories from childhood, as well as when I took my kids fishing. Sounds like you bumped into one of those people that make fishing, and living, that much more enjoyable. Gems lilke him are too far apart it seems.

I'll look for your next article. Until then, I'm going to go out and see if that filleting technique really works. I haven't had fried bluegill in a long time.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:16 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Re: The Old Man And His Bluegills

Reading that short article reminded me of the many,
many, many Bluegill on the flyrod adventures I had the
privaledge to share with my Father.

I truly believe that those times burned into my heart
my love for fly fishing today. Dad is gone now, but the
love for catching those "little fighters" on a flyrod will
never disappear.

What he gave will never be forgotten.

Tie One On
Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 PM

Bob Lang will become famous soon enoughBob Lang will become famous soon enough

Charles,

I've tried to get onto the bassfishingweekly web site but it never will come up. Is it still active?

Bob
Old 07-10-2007, 02:24 PM

awmiller is on a distinguished road

I'll take a mess of bluegill over bass any day!!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:56 PM

mnshutterbug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
Charles,

I've tried to get onto the bassfishingweekly web site but it never will come up. Is it still active?

Bob
Yep, still active.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Reminds me of my great grandpa... he rarely fishing warm water but love fishing idaho for steelheads and loved flying his plane to mexico for marlin and such on the fly

i wish i coulda fished with him, coulda leanred A LOT of good info
Old 06-30-2012, 03:35 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

My fishing buddies also look at me like I'm from space when I tell them....'I'm going to take the wife fishing and fly fish bluegills instead of heading off bass fishing with you all.' BTW, wife doesn't fly fish but spin fishes, and that's OK. A day after the bluegills while she fishes for 'fish in general' at the lake is a fine day for me. She's a very competent fisher-person in her own style, so I'm freed up to wander here and there looking for the savage pumpkin seed !

I have NEVER looked down on bluegills as they are fine eating, and for their size, indeed savage prey. If they got 24 inches long, no one would ever catch one LOL BTW, I strive to release all the small ones and only take home a good slab.

One last thing, my fav fly for bluegills is a small bumble bee wet fly fished slightly below the surface or a buoyant intimation of the same imitation fished on top. Not a glamorous or technical pattern but absolutely deadly.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I just spent a week in Ohio, catching bluegill and bass. It was a great time, and even on a 5wt fly rod, bluegill can put a nice bow in the rod.

Nice story.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Caught about half a dozen small bluegill fishing from the kayak yesterday. Seems the 'slabs' have went pretty deep in the lake right now. Wasn't a stellar day as far as 'catching' but was a good evening enjoy the water and rod.