The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Coldwater Articles

Coldwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon, etc...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: How to choose the right fly?

Lots of great advice here.

Generally speaking...
I remember hearing from a very accomplished fly fisherman once who said 90% of what a trout eats is brown to black in color. This is a great tip. If you think of flies in terms of two categories, they could be aquatic or terrestrial. Most of the things underwater will be in the color tones of the stream bed or bottom yo are fishing. Trout eat a pile of pin fish. Little minnows of various kinds. Some are called gudgeons, sticklebacks, chubs, perch, and many others. Trout eat shrimp and other little crustaceans. These are in the lighter tones usually.

Then there are the flies that mimic other insects that are typically in the air. The majority of them have segmented black or charcoal grey bodies, and a transparent wing. The larva of these usually have the same colors just tied as a larvae.

Have fun with it and pay attention to the colors around the waters you fish. Big help to me anyway.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 PM

ponderosky is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: How to choose the right fly?

I learned how to fly fish by nymphing and use this technique 90% of the time. I am fairly proficient and where I really need help is when I see fish rising and I get nothing to bite. I fished twice this week and could see some mayflies. Fish were coming out of the water all around me but I saw nothing hatching on the water. I tried every dry pattern I had and felt I had a good match. Also tried a nymph dropper off my dry. I am fishing in upstate New York. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 PM

repperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the roughrepperson29 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderosky View Post
I learned how to fly fish by nymphing and use this technique 90% of the time. I am fairly proficient and where I really need help is when I see fish rising and I get nothing to bite. I fished twice this week and could see some mayflies. Fish were coming out of the water all around me but I saw nothing hatching on the water. I tried every dry pattern I had and felt I had a good match. Also tried a nymph dropper off my dry. I am fishing in upstate New York. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If that's happening, most of the time it's your presentation, what type of water are you fishing on riffles etc.? How are you presenting your fly? Sometimes you have to time your cast so the fish will see it, if you mis time the cast your fly may be passing the trout when he's coming down from the top and missing your fly.

Ryan
Old 07-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Allen,

Based on the fact that there are 23 replies as I type this I'm guessing you have plenty of information already. What I will do is add just a touch of advice based on experiences. Regardless of the type fly, nymph, dry - streamer etc. you may find what I will say helpful. Choose a fly that is a good representative of the food available in the stream. Once the fly is on the leader make sure the fish see the fly and not you.

I've seen plenty of guys spend lots of time tying on a different pattern only to follow that with flogging the water with unnecessary casts and further putting the fish down. Beyond flies, stealth is in my opinion more important than a fly pattern on the leader. Be observant, move like the fish may see you and show them the fly not the leader.

Last but not least there is one important word for anyone who intends to fish for trout where you can target them, seams. Pay careful attention to the various current seams and know that is where the fish will be sitting in most cases. Conventionally this is what they mean when they say "reading the water". Practice the drag free drift with nymph & dry and learn to swing your streamers into those seams like a guided missile and you'll be ahead of the curve all day. There is no pattern that will out fish being smart with your approach to the fish.

Welcome to the forum too,

Ard
jaybo41, noreaster and busbus like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;