The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Coldwater Articles

Coldwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM

wolfi2de is on a distinguished road
Default Nymph Fishing on long leader

Very often I meet fly fishermen trying to fish nymphs with leaders that are too short. Keep in mind...

Nymph Fishing on long leader

Let me know, what you think about it.

Have fun, Wolfgang
Old 08-27-2014, 03:42 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymph Fishing on long leader

Hi Wolfgang,

I think the members of the forum who are in the USA may not be aware that in Europe, floats or strike indicators of the type normally used in the USA are NOT legal and so nymphers must direct line nymph (Euronymphing).

With that in mind, I pretty much agree with your post that longer leaders and thinner tippets are the way to nymph deep waters. The 2.5 meter average depth means 8.5 feet and a 5 meter leader would be 16 feet long. Euronymphing leaders can be as long as 25 - 30 feet long for the French and Spanish styles of euronymphing.

Whether strike indicator nymphing or direct line nymphing, an angler must at or close to the bottom and the only way to know you are fishing at the correct level is if you are occasionally bumping the bottom during each drift. As you note in your article, an occasional lost fly is the price we pay.

I have coined a term for being at the correct level, "Effective Drift Length" (EDL). I explain the concept in this post.

What is EDL - "Effective Drift Length"

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-27-2014, 03:55 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

It's always interesting to see techniques from around the world! Good articles guys! I don't do a lot of nymphing since I don't do a lot of trout fishing. Will occasionally for stream bass, but usually with bigger flies that are weighted.

Have yet to find a situation where I needed a long leader or tippet, as the streams I've fished are all shallow. Most times 8' combined length is plenty & I've used shorter with good success.

Never hurts to have some extra information stored away for different situations one may encounter!

Thanks for the posts!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:10 AM

@silver
It depends at the kind of strike indicator you use in Europe. I wrote something about strike indicator here:

Using Strike Indicator

The toughest rules about this topic I found in BC, Canada. Especially rivers with old english style regulations. It is not allowed to use a strike indicator, does not matter which kind. Only line, leader and fly.

All the best, Wolfgang
Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 AM

nav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Hi Wolfgang,

Euronymphing leaders can be as long as 25 - 30 feet long for the French and Spanish styles of euronymphing.

What is EDL - "Effective Drift Length"
Yes indeed.

My leader is always, at least, twice the size of the rod : this is the best way for a good drift with light nymphs. That works well with dries too on wide streams .

When fishing nymph with long leader, the cast really matters : the "parachute" cast is the best, it allows the light nymph to sink easily.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Nymph Fishing on long leader

Very interesting thread going here. I read/post on a major UK board and the 'how they fish' (leaving full on rivers out of this) makes for fascinating reads.

fae
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM

@NAV
Hi, excuse me, but the tuck cast as well as the vertical bow case work way better for nymph fishing with weighted nymphs.

All the best, Wolfgang
Old 08-29-2014, 04:15 AM

nav will become famous soon enough

Yes, with weighted nymphs long leaders are not so usefull, but with non (or few) weighted ones it's a different thing, also when you tried catapult cast (which I really like when fishing from the bank, among trees for cruising fish).