The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Coldwater Articles

Coldwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon, etc...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Wiggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Wiggy is on a distinguished road
Default An article with pictures - Coastal sea trout fishing in Southern Norway

When one mentions fishing in Norway, what type of fishing springs to mind? I bet it’s salmon fishing in one of Norway’s beautiful rivers or perhaps deep-sea fishing for Atlantic cod? Does sea trout fishing along the coast pop into your mind?

No? Well it should!

Click the image to open in full size.

"The rugged norse coast here where the big ones live."

The four seasons each with there own magic. For example autumn…

I wrote about the magic of autumn in November and how myself as well as many others had been experiencing some very promising fishing.

"A beautiful winter morning."

Winter with it’s white blanket of snow lining the coast, as crisp cold days with blue skies and winter sun warming an otherwise cold face. The crystal clear turquoise sea serving bars of pearly silver sea trout to the avid fisher.

"A prime example of a winter sea trout."

"Out fishing monster sea trout. My dear friend with this one that's not quite the monster we were looking for!"

"A slim kelt going back to where it came."

When the blue temperature reaches our bones, the dancing flames of an open fire, a welcome guest. It warms, not only our bodies, but also our lunch and our dreams of a prize sea trout. Motivation to step out into the chilling sea once again an option. Ever since a child the golden flames and how they dance rhythmically have enchanted me. I can sit and ponder over things that I wouldn’t otherwise do when staring mesmerized into the hypnotic flames.

"Mezmerizing flames."

"An epic sunrise over my sea fishing grounds."

Anyway back to the reality and spreading the good news. Recently there have been official bodies confirming what many of us sea trout fishers have been experiencing. Four, five or six sea trout per hour far from uncommon. A steadily fished fly either a shrimp or sandeel imitation proving irresistable for most fish.

"The perfect winter fly – my ‘barbie shrimp’."

"Stomach contents – a clear indication of what the sea trout are eating."

"The sandal imitation that catches me most fish during the winter months."

Tore Johannessen, a Marine biologist at the Marine Biology institute in Flřdevigen, Norway said that there they have results all the back until 1920, and there has never been so many sea trout along Skagerrak (Southern Norway) as now. There are fantastic conditions for sea trout at the moment.

He continues to explain that there are probably multiple reasons for this. For example the waterways in which the sea trout spawn. Here the water quality has gotten better. The acidity in these waterways is reduced and many pollution sources eliminated. The extraction of fish from the sea being strongly regulated also a factor.

"Counting sea trout using a beach net."

Local authorities are interested in keeping spawning streams clean and free from obstructions. Nobody is permitted to dig or change the stream course, or in any other way keep the fish from travelling further up the stream without special permittance. They are also very positive and support efforts to better og rejuvinate spawning streams/areas.

There are also many passionate souls along the coast who devote their unpaid time to cleaning up and improving the spawning conditions in these waterways. Without their hard work in combination with the support of local governmental bodies, the sea trout population wouldn’t thrive as much as it is.

Last year we saw huge amounts of food for sea trout, for example large number of marine sticklebacks, gobies and sandeels. I personally have never seen such numbers in the years I’ve been fishing for sea trout along the Norwegian coast. This obviously results in better conditions for the population to grow, decreasing mortality rates. The end result is a sea trout fishing mecca for us fishermen.

Blog @ http://anglerpilot.no/news/
Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An article with pictures - Coastal sea trout fishing in Southern Norway

Great pictures! Thanks for posting them. Seems like a beautiful place to fish
Old 02-12-2015, 09:28 AM

Wiggy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An article with pictures - Coastal sea trout fishing in Southern Norway

Thanks for the kind words. I'm extremely lucky to be able to fish here

Blog @ http://anglerpilot.no/news/
Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great report on fishing for sea trout in your beautiful country, thanks for sharing!

Old 02-12-2015, 12:53 PM

weiliwen is on a distinguished road

I really enjoyed that report, thanks!