The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Coldwater Articles

Coldwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon, etc...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Walter1023
  • 1 Post By nah85
  • 2 Post By wolfglen
  • 1 Post By Walter1023

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 06:55 AM

Walter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to all
Default A few unique fish that stuck with me

I've had a successful year so far catching beautiful browns and bows when I head out for dry fly action....and I take pix here and there but these 2 underdogs are my favorites 1) My Fallish.......a few weeks ago I was on the East Branch of the Upper Delaware river.....one of the most challenging streams I ever fish. I had a nice day catching a few wild trout and starting caster to this "Riser" who fell for my soft hackle ISO....he thought he was a trout and so did I until I got him in the net. He's so odd looking he has now grown on me.

2) This little wild brown trout was caught a few days ago on the Farmington River in Connecticut....a heavily stocked but still difficult tailwater with a lot of holdover trout. Despite catching numerous browns and bows in the 14" to 18" range that day....he was my favorite - because he represents the fact that wild fish do exist in that river also.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

Sorry mistakenly put this under coldwater "articles" instead of coldwater fishing.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:52 PM

nah85 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A few unique fish that stuck with me

So far have caught two fall fish in similar size thinking trout, but they put up a good fight so it didn't matter to me.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:01 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

Fall fish are a neat creature, big brother to the creek chub. I've had a ball fishing for them in places where there were no trout or the water temperature was too high for them to feed.
'
Somewhere on the forum I posted the story about Harry Darbee and Bob Zwirz and their wives trying to make a movie about trout fishing on the Delaware River back in the 50's. Harry hooked a monster "Trout" and they started filming as the fish took off river, around the bend and the gals followed them from one access point to the next sure that they had the state record.

It turned to be a 30" fall fish which locally they called Delaware River Chub.
mcnerney and nah85 like this.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:58 PM

Walter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to allWalter1023 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfglen View Post
Fall fish are a neat creature, big brother to the creek chub. I've had a ball fishing for them in places where there were no trout or the water temperature was too high for them to feed.
'
Somewhere on the forum I posted the story about Harry Darbee and Bob Zwirz and their wives trying to make a movie about trout fishing on the Delaware River back in the 50's. Harry hooked a monster "Trout" and they started filming as the fish took off river, around the bend and the gals followed them from one access point to the next sure that they had the state record.

It turned to be a 30" fall fish which locally they called Delaware River Chub.
Wolfglen.......I would love to view that vintage footage if it were available ....that is amazing. I always feel that some fallfish are almost equally as beautiful as some of the Graylings I've seen on film.....I call the ones on the Housatonic River in Ct. Housy Graylings...they act like trout and rise to dry flies and can give an awesome fight at times.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fish, congrats! The fallfish is another I would like to land sometime.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:50 PM

nah85 is on a distinguished road

Btw you said brown, I thought that is a brook trout?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:37 PM

markfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah85 View Post
Btw you said brown, I thought that is a brook trout?
That might be the most beautifully marked brown I ever saw - the spots and the colors are stunning!

Mark
Old 07-15-2015, 01:49 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter1023 View Post
Wolfglen.......I would love to view that vintage footage if it were available ....that is amazing. I always feel that some fallfish are almost equally as beautiful as some of the Graylings I've seen on film.....I call the ones on the Housatonic River in Ct. Housy Graylings...they act like trout and rise to dry flies and can give an awesome fight at times.
You might try contacting Dick Smith, 4 Park Street, Roscoe, NY for that. He's married to Judie Darbee, Harry and Elsie's daughter. If they don't have it, they might know where it could be found. It would be on super 8 I would imagine.

Jack
Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 PM

wademaster is a jewel in the roughwademaster is a jewel in the roughwademaster is a jewel in the roughwademaster is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful little brown, dude.