The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Coldwater Articles

Coldwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon, etc...

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2016, 02:48 PM

Location: Farmington, ill. ( stop by for a cold beer on your way thru)
k_e_v has much to be proud ofk_e_v has much to be proud ofk_e_v has much to be proud ofk_e_v has much to be proud ofk_e_v has much to be proud ofk_e_v has much to be proud ofk_e_v has much to be proud ofk_e_v has much to be proud ofk_e_v has much to be proud ofk_e_v has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Streak - a fish story

Well done!!!

Absolutely fantastic post. A must read!!

Upon further review and a larger screen at home I see you are not the old guy at the bottom of your posts. That is Mr Leisenring not Mr Stenacron. Sorry for thinking thinking you were that old. But I must say that all the hiking you do in the Uintas is much more impressive when I thought you were 80.
I will have to start reading these posts more carefully

kev
dean_mt and stenacron like this.

Last edited by k_e_v; 12-13-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:28 PM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
On the subject of maintaining fishing journals (in general), they're value in improving oneself as an angler cannot be measured. The hardest part is simply getting started. After a while I came to realize that I learn so much more from the bad fishing trips than the good ones. Good days are easy to write about, but there are no challenges, no lessons learned… just fun to go back years later and relive some of the details. The tough days however, these are the puzzles that remain to be solved. Bad trips are the ones that I really enjoy documenting now and then analyzing and formulating a game plan for future success. This "cracking of the code" has happened on several occasions, sometimes years later, which is really gratifying.
This is so true. I keep thinking that I would like to keep a journal. I will be faithful for the first couple days of a trip, and then, for one reason or another, I drop it. I have trouble maintaining the discipline to continue.

Joe, and anyone else who cares to contribute, do you use a specific fishing journal format or just a simple notebook?

Thanks,
steve
stenacron and karstopo like this.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:30 PM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post

Joe, and anyone else who cares to contribute, do you use a specific fishing journal format or just a simple notebook?

Thanks,
steve
My fishing journal/logbook has evolved quite a bit since 1988. Formatting when I began was simple pen and notebook. Almost immediately I progressed to custom formatting and photo copies which were still filled in via pen and kept in 3-ring binders. 1993 was my first exposure to Word Perfect and Lotus 1-2-3 on a PC. The wheels started turning immediately and electronic journals replaced pen and paper. Right around 2000 everything moved to MS Office and ever since I have gone through several iterations in Word, Excel, and even a 1-yr stint on PowerPoint.

All formats are printed to hard copy and kept in a 3-ring binder. I really enjoy reading through them once in a while and re-charging the memories… ALMOST AS MUCH as my friends and family enjoy reading through them (I write about those I fish with as well).

I have never stuck with one format for more than 4-5 years at a stretch, but I'm pretty happy with the current Excel format that I have been using for the past few years. I use a combination of dropdown menus, freeform entry, and simple calculations to compile; date, location, weather conditions, water conditions, time, moon phase, barometer, fish caught, what they were caught on, total fish, avg/trip, and general notes. This is what the entry fields look like:
Click the image to open in full size.

When I print them out at the end of the year, the formatting is four (4) reports to a page looking like this:

This format is generic enough to apply to any type of fishing, but includes enough information to zero in on one specific discipline as needed (fly fishing for example). If looking for just a fly fishing journal, this is one that I toyed around with. Just printed them and filled out by hand:

As far as value a fishing journal brings… it cannot be emphasized enough IMO. I have been cursed with a very good memory, and still there are so many details hidden within my notes that I still go back and have AH-HA moments knowing what I know now.

In addition to my logbooks, I also keep a strict annual/all-time numbers and records compilation, general fly fishing notes, customizable hatch charts, and a separate log of every hatch that I have ever encountered (sorted by month/day).

I know… I can't turn it off.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and karstopo like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 AM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_e_v View Post

Upon further review and a larger screen at home I see you are not the old guy at the bottom of your posts. That is Mr Leisenring not Mr Stenacron. Sorry for thinking thinking you were that old. But I must say that all the hiking you do in the Uintas is much more impressive when I thought you were 80.
I will have to start reading these posts more carefully

kev
That has happened to me more than once on here.

Mr. Leisenring, the greatest angler (and tool/diemaker) ever to have emerged from Pennsylvania's fertile crescent of fly fishing. Some still see his ghost stalking the banks of the Brodheads.
mcnerney likes this.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:46 AM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light

I really enjoyed "The Streak - a fish story".

I've been keeping a fishing log on Excel since 2010. It's a habit now so that even if I don't feel motivated at the time to make an entry, I still do out of force of habit.

It's kind of fun to look back at prior years and trips, kind of brings the good feelings of the day back into focus.

My log is something I will look at when I've been away from fishing for a stretch and need some input on possible places to try. I feel like I can pick out seasonal and other patterns from years of entries.

One thing I've done over the last year or two is gone on Google Earth and marked some spots with drop pin notes on my private maps. Helps to pinpoint fish holding structure. Every time I get on Google Earth and zoom in on my areas, there is a pin where some special fish was caught or a concentration of fish was found.

Anyway, thank you, stenacron, for writing such a good read and sharing that and your log formats.
mcnerney and stenacron like this.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:59 PM

I wanted to revisit this story, and give props to my small circle of fishing friends that have been there for me throughout this goofy process. None of them are active members here on NAFFF (despite my regular nagging) nor are they aware that I am doing this… so photos have been purposely manipulated to protect their identity and nicknames assigned. Here they are in order of appearance:

GNUSTER
Hard to even think about where I would be without this guy! Talk about your spontaneous piscatorial combustion… we started fishing together at a very young age, from a family with no anglers previously, took to the sport with great passion, and have fished together ever since. Gnuster is not one for the fly rod – tried it, it didn't take – but he is up for any other kind of fishing, any time of year, any time of day or night. Hard to even calculate how much time we have logged fishing together (for several years even before I started logging trips). Difficult to make out in this shot, but here he is sneaking out onto an island point bar on the Delaware River along the NJ side in search of his true love – Smallmouth Bass. We still heckle him occasionally about picking up the long rod for another go.

SPIFF
We started fishing together in high school and later dove head first into the art of angling. A most skilled fly fishermen and fly tyer, we worked through a lot of hatch conundrums together during sulphur season back east. Spiff was actually the first to land (and name) Earl the Doorman! An experienced traveler, oar man, angler, and active defender of our coldwater resources… Spiff would be an excellent contributor to NAFFF and I will keep bugging him until he joins. Here he is high-sticking a plunge pool on Pocono Creek in PA's "Bermuda Triangle"

GERM
Germ and I have been friends and angling buddies for almost 30 years. Germ is a skilled angler and fly tyer in his own right and can be found stalking the mild flows of the Lehigh Valley limestoners year round. I am anxiously waiting for the day he decides to make one of his epic road trips out west so that I can share my new fishing holes in Utah with him. Here he works one of my favorite pools on the upper Pohopoco Creek during "Hendrickson" season back in PA.

A-TRAIN
My friend, co-worker, and angling buddy for almost 20 years. The long time angler and TU supporter, A-Train is largely responsible for prying me away from my passion for warmwater fly rodding and getting me focused on coldwater species. Also part of the corporate relocation to Utah, we are still fishing together today, although with two active teenagers at home he doesn't get to sneak away as often as he used to. Here he battles a feisty brown trout on the East River in Colorado.

SLIM JIM & BILLY THE KID
Two more colleagues that made the leap from PA to UT and now both retired. These two are my fly fishing reclamation project as both had taken a muli-year departure from the sport, only to be reborn anglers in the cools flows of Utah rivers. Billy stayed here, but Slim Jim bolted back to PA and now can only dream about those 15-inch average sized trout like he experienced during his time in Utah. Here they are plying the waters of Yellowstone Creek on the south slope of the Uintas in Utah during our attempt at the Grand Slam (we all came up short).

TEX COBB
One of the most gracious men and entertaining anglers that I know… Tex opened our eyes to "heaven on earth" (3-rivers area of Almont, Colorado) and holds the world record for unintentional swims resulting from his many attempts to wade across the Taylor River! Those that have fished it will know exactly what I am talking about. Here he works over a run for trout gobbling emerging Baetis on the Gunnison River in Colorado. They broke the mold after Tex was born, and I mean that in every complimentary way possible.

STEVIE WONDER
Much like the Gnuster, Stevie is another "I will fish anywhere, year round, any time of day or night" guy. Stevie and I trade fishing intel constantly and seem to feed off one another's energy out on the water. I sometimes worry that I am going to be responsible for hurting his golf game. The "wonder" part comes from his ability to always come up with the catch of the day. Even on days when things are no going his way numbers wise, he still seems to land the biggest fish (sometimes lunker status). Stevie is also responsible for turning me onto winter fly fishing, which has become a real passion of mine. Here he is on the Provo River during one of our "half day" trips back in January.
jaybo41, ia_trouter and don_p like this.

Last edited by stenacron; 12-22-2016 at 09:53 AM.