The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Coldwater Articles

Coldwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 08:42 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Many Articles on The Alaska Flies & Rivers Blog;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I've seen photos of the crowds on Ship Creek, for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to fish in conditions like that. i can certainly believe that confrontations occur there.
It's because we are spoiled Larry.

As I said earlier the access to Ship is easy, and the fish are there. King run was well past peak and there were still plenty of fish to target. I went down there at the end of my trip for entertainment. Anglers were roughly 8ft apart. A little close for chucking a treble hook and that is what everyone was doing there. Like all fishing spots, with a little effort you can get more space. And the trout creeks running through Anchorage are larger than most of my Driftless streams by a margin. Gear fisherman in Iowa would kill for an opportunity like Ship.

At the end of my first trip to Alaska, on the way back to my hotel, Ard took me all over Anchorage showing me places he could pedal a bike to and fish. Literally a couple hours and I enjoyed the tour. I could envision Ard "making his own paradise" while working a day job at the time. I drive 2+ hours for water as nice as an Anchorage "city stream". I would never suggest Ship is the real AK adventure, because it simply isn't. But it is unique, and interesting, and for some, a fishing opportunity most large city dwellers would never see during the work week. The rest of us will fish somewhere else whenever possible.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Stetts View Post
When I lived in Anchorage Dewayne the fall of 2005 I caught so many Silvers without leaving City limits that I had to stop for almost a week due to a swollen and sore right wrist. That was the year I began researching 2 hand rods. In all seriousness, if you were to have around 25 - 35 salmon ranging between 5.5 and 9.5 pounds grab a fly every day for a couple weeks things can become sore from strain.

First I bought several rods with decent fighting butts in 2006 & 2007 and then in 2008 ordered a 13' eight weight. Once I got past the intimidation factor of the big rod I never had another sore wrist.

Learning a system for daily success there on Ship Creek was not hard as you may think.
You don't have to convince me. A single King in the 10# range in the current was all I needed on the 8WT Imperial I brought the first year. Amazing how much easier it is to fight more than twice as much fish, with literally half the effort on a spey rod.
Ard Stetts likes this.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoho View Post
Ship Creek isn't fun. Saw several fights last years a man even had a gun drawn on him. I was threatened and the guy couldn't give a reason why. I was fishing and he invaded my spot and tried to push me out of it. I finally told him what I thought and he snickers and moved on. I look for somebody to get hurt there over crazy, senseless ****.

I do enjoy reading your writings. Keep up the good work!
Quote:
I've seen photos of the crowds on Ship Creek, for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to fish in conditions like that. i can certainly believe that confrontations occur there.
I have a theory on why no one ever bothered me there. The first year was 2005 and again in 2006 when I took a fellow from Pueblo CO. down so he could enjoy the show. He and I had so many laughs over things we witnessed there that the experience was priceless. He has a good and slightly twisted sense of humor very much like mine and we were still roaring over some of the characters we watched there months later.

Back to the theory, in 2005 I had no gray hair, in other words I didn't look like an old guy, I just looked like a 6'5" - 225 pound guy who worked out often.

There's a chance that coupled with the size, the way I look at people right before something is about to happen may have helped.
Click the image to open in full size.

At any rate, it didn't hurt that I just look like a really friendly guy, especially if you crowd me while I'm fishing.
ia_trouter likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-12-2017, 02:15 PM

bigcoho is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It is spreading> i was fishing last summer down at Bings Landing. Was there with a buddy minding my own business when 5 guys come walking by. There was 10 feet between me and my friend and another guy just below me. They crowded in and tried fishing between us. I told them this isn't working and they just looked at me like they didn't understand. I walked to the bank and pulled off my jacket. Walked back. Had a 45 on my chest. A guy had already filled my spot. I went up beside him and told him the way I saw it. I guess he agreed because he slipped down a few feet. He caught my line the next few cast. I finally got fed up and asked him if he wanted to fight for the spot. I also told him if he caught my line again I was going to shoot it apart. After that they all left and went down stream.

People don't have any respect for others. They try to bully you around and I'm not the type that is going to be bullied. Alaska isn't the place most think it is. It is full of people that think they are entitled to any and everything. I'm so tired of it I will be fishing Idaho this year. Actually selling everything that can't go and moving at this very moment.

I can actually hit the mountains in Idaho and go out for a weekend and never see a soul. Here in Alaska that is impossible to do unless you have a bush plane. Not matter how far we are out there is always another person or group there.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

I have to agree with what you just said. Many of the places I fish are somewhat lacking when it comes to the numbers of fish present and one must work harder and smarter to catch fish. This is however a fault by design, being that I go many miles out river systems and often do so on rivers not renowned for greatness I also avoid most confrontations.

Every time I break from the aforementioned practice there is a problem. I have never fished anywhere else where I have came in contact with as many downright awful people on the rivers as here. That is not to say 100% of the folks I encounter are bad but the odds of the person coming toward you in a boat stopping right on top of you are quite high.

Considering that I have fished in every state with a wild trout or salmon population and in 9 different Provinces of our northern neighbor, what I've said is a pretty serious charge to level. It can be very ugly here if you run into the wrong people.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;