The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Native or Stockie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRichardFly View Post
Even a truckload of sunfish or chubs in the streams every couple weeks would be a wonderful thing.
I could have a ball catchin' 10" fallfish in the local streams. Or 5" sunfish!! they hit flies better than trout do.
Where are you in PA? Many parts of the state have good warmwater fishing, for sunfish, fallfish, and different bass.

When I lived in south-central PA, I always hated seeing the summer die-off in some of the streams (although I've caught trout in colder waters throughout the summer).
Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRichardFly View Post
Sasha,
So true, but when I go fishing, I like to catch some fish.
There are some tiny wild trout streams here in PA. And with my 1wt I will have a great time there.
But .......... I would rather catch 10 Fallfish then 1 native trout! I would much rather catch 20 medium sized sunfish than a 20" wild trout!!
I release everything anyway, so the most fish caught is the most fun for me.
I don't care about what fish it is, I just care about the action, the bend in my rod and the fun I'll have.
Carp, the poor mans bonefish, is what I'll be after soon. Soon I think I'll have a ball with all the trash fish in the Susquehanna.
I tie my flies, and I spend lots of money for my top shelf tackle, but it's catchin' the fish that is what I'm after.

Maybe my experiences with wild streams differ from yours. I find that when I fish not stocked places (which is 100% of the time now) I catch more fish and they fight harder and look better. I too C&R 100% of the time the stockers taste better thing was a joke. The last time I fished stocked places was in California.

The few reports I have posted on this forum are all from 100% non stocked places. I did not put it in the report I posted from that creek but it was easily a 100+ fish day for me. I find that if you do some good research on small stream that are off the beaten path you can find some real gems. Sure sometimes you will strike out but that is part of the fun.

The other thing is once you find the gems donít use their real names in reports. Also be sure to be selective about the pictures you post. That way lurkers on these sites wonít flock to the area.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Peregrines, great post...Sasha you have it made...Now may we assume that you are not in ID? lol

Dan
Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I always enjoy reading your posts Mark....great knowledge of fish and fishing...great pleasure for the readers,thanks a lot
Old 06-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Peregrines, great post...Sasha you have it made...Now may we assume that you are not in ID? lol

Dan

Nope I am still here in good ole ID
Old 06-18-2009, 01:01 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

As I posted in another thread, for 30 years I avoided fishing the local stocked
lake during April and May. The mobs of people with cans o' corn always made
me feel like they were shooting fish in a barrel. Lacking anything on Christmas
Eve 2007, my wife and I headed over to said lake, and caught a few of what
we assumed were holdovers. It turned out the state had stocked the lake
just weeks prior to that, and so we decided to go for it.

This year the trout stocked in that lake were very finicky about patterns, and
even the powerbait crowd had to switch colors(!!!). Given the choice, I'd much rather fish for natives of any species, and don't consider non-trout
species to be inferior. Until recently, we lived in Valley Forge, PA, and Valley
Creek is native trout only. PCB levels in that stream ban the possession of
fish from Valley Creek, and of course it's not stocked in any way. The fish
aren't dumb, however, and it sees a good bit of fly anglers year round.
You can watch pods of decent sized trout from the high bank side, and also
see fly anglers ready to pull their hair out .
Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Where are you in PA? Many parts of the state have good warmwater fishing, for sunfish, fallfish, and different bass.
I live in York. That's south central PA just below Harrisburg.
I fly fished the Susquehanna one million times. I think I know every rock in the river from Duncannon to Wrightsville! LOL
The problem is: 95% of the smallmouth bass have died since 2002. Terrible spawns and usually a flood every spring followed by hot drought water.
The south Susquehanna was a "World Class" smallmouth river. I still remember the over 100 fish days wading in the clean, cool water with a olive woolybugger on a 6wt.
Now the river has a mud bottom and the bass are just a memory.
But....... I'm a fly fishin' guy, so today I found another cold water trout stream which has high hopes for me.
This creek is completely covered with trees, and it is too cold for me to wet wade. Good, deep, cold clean water. It looks like TU did some rock repair along the sides in a couple remote places.
I caught 7 beautiful wild browns today with my 1wt and size 18 nymphs.
It was 90 today with the hot sun out, but I was comfy with my chest waders on standing in 4' of the cold water.
I can't tell anybody where this stream is........ or I would have to kill you!
This should keep me busy until Fall. If all the smallmouth bass died, well that's the breaks of the game. The next time I go to the Susquehanna, I'll be carp fishing with my 8wt anyway.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan