The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM

jessie2702 is on a distinguished road
Default Spring Break Colorado

Some of my friends are going to wolf creek for skiing for spring break. I am going only for the fishing I know its early but I was thinking Big Meadow Res and Shaw lake maybe Hunters Lake but well they all still be frozen. I m not sure how has the weather been up there for you guys who live anywhere near there. I am assuming they are frozen but if not......Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring Break Colorado

Jessie: I don't know anything about those reservoirs, but my guess is that they would still be frozen in March, but I could be wrong. Pagosa Springs to the south of Wolf Creek is at 7,100 ft elevation and South Fork to the north is at 8,200 ft. From Wolf Creek Pass you are only 95 miles from the San Juan River, NM. I have heard that it fishes very well in March. You would be sight fishing with small midges and BWO patterns size 24/26 on 6x/7x tippet but they have some really nice trout in that tailwater and it offers plenty of wading opportunities. If your uncomfortable fishing with small midges, get a guide for a half day and let him show you how to rig up and fish that style of fishing. I'd call Abe's Motel and Fly Shop and ask about current conditions before you head over there. They also have guide services. Abe's Motel and Fly Shop

Larry

Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

My wife is a skier. I never understood the attraction to rocketing down a hill, with more than a good chance of losing life and limb. If I life my life never having anything in common with Sonny Bono, that'd be just fine with me. I don't care for Cher, can't sing a lick, have no desire to be a Senator, and I'll be damned if I'm killed in a skiing accident!

I think you have the right idea. Sneak off and fish during the day when they're all playing in the snow, then come back in the evening for dinner, drinks, and a soak in the hot tub.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. We'll I have been going to Pagosa for 24 years and recently started fishing over the pass at those lakes and have had excellent luck with some pretty decent browns and bows coming out of Big Meadow. I go almost every year on spring break, summer, and then again at fall break. Sometimes when I go during spring break everything is melted and there is no snow to speak of around our cabin and other years its close to 3 feet so I was just wondering anyone around that area to tell me what kind of winter it has been. Thanks Again for the replies. Man I love this forum
Old 02-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jessie: It has been a very good snow year so far, especially in the mountains. Here is a link that will give you some idea.
February News Release | Colorado NRCS

You might also check this site (as you get closer to spring break) to see if Big Meadow Reservoir is listed:
Statewide Conditions - Colorado Division of Wildlife

I checked to see if Colorado Division of Wildlife had an office in Pagosa Springs, but they don't, there is one in Durango and another in Buena Vista, but you might call one of those offices and see if they have any current info when you get closer to spring break.
DOW Office Location Map - Colorado Division of Wildlife

Larry

Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks Larry. I'm sure I dont have to tell you but what the hay. Your Awesome.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie2702 View Post
Thanks Larry. I'm sure I dont have to tell you but what the hay. Your Awesome.
Jessie: Thanks! Keep us posted and give us a report on your trip if you get any fishing in.

Larry

Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road

my opinion? Learn how to ski
Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM

jaiyman will become famous soon enough

I'm very jealous! Sounds like it is a win win situation no matter what you do.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:04 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I'm mad as hell and can't take it anymore!!! How come I always had to work during college breaks when everyone else went wherever the hell they went?? It's just not right, I tells ya, not right! And let the record show that that was 14years worth of college breaks! (so I liked going to college...so sue me.) lol
Gary