The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 AM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Default My Brother the Duck Hunter.. Feather Question?

So as some of you know, I am new to trout fishing. When I told my brother about it, despite wondering why I wanted to fish for something other than Striped Bass, he was thrilled. You see, he has also picked up a new hobby duck/anything with feathers hunting and embraces even the slightest encouragement. So at the mere mention of fly fishing, he butted in with "You know I could get you some nice feathers" and that is exactly what he did. I have plucked countless ducks have many more waiting for me in deep freeze, but have, just tonight, decided that my first batch was ready, partly because I can't wait any longer. Finally my Question-

My brother shot all of these birds. They were immediately frozen. I plucked, removed anything that even resembled meat or blood, microwaved them, and froze again. They have been in frozen for almost 2 months now. I did a little reading about the topic and I am hoping that I won't get any surprise "hatches" in my feather supply. Everything in individually bagged and labeled just in case something needs to be isolated and removed. Also all of these feathers will be stored separately from anything i have spent money on.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advise? Anything I missed? I don't want any surprises..

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by only adipose; 02-04-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My Brother the Duck Hunter.. Feather Question?

Adipose,
Sounds awesome!

I have no experience fetching my own feathers other than my 8 year old who insists I tie something with what he grabs off the ground. It works, but again, I tie fly to catch fish not for finicky fly tiers!

Your stash looks impressive! Make sure to post pictures of your flies.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:36 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I hunt and fish, all the duck and everything else feathers and fur I bag each item by type and include the moth balls that kill stuff (I cant remember the goodies in it to make this happen but can find it for you).

I have a friend on another forum that has still had infestations while freezing his stuff, and now swears by the moth balls. I have never frozen any of my stuff but have always put moth balls in with every bag. the only problem I had was when a mouse got in to my hen capse and saddles (he was caught and liberated in the river where a hungry trout was waiting) since then I have also stored everything in hard tins and boxes.

I know that alot of guys on this forum use freezing, and if you are too it would pay to think about moth balls too.

If you start getting skins dont store them in bags unless you have tanned them (it can be done at home if you want some info on this send me a PM), they will go wet and rot with in weeks (even with silica gel in with them), a salted pelt will last 1year in the freezer before it will need more done to it (this is how you can do a lot in one go costing less)

the best thing about hunting is that you can get stuff that you will never find in most stores, some times even rare stuff.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

I read about the moth balls and it seems like it works great, but i have one concern. Do you ever worry about the smell? I feel like somewhere in some situation, its going to have an impact. I question fly head cement sometimes. What do you think? My uncle is trapping beaver this season so i'm also interested in that other thing you mentioned, cant send pm yet..
Old 02-04-2011, 06:45 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I havnt had any trouble with it while fishing I assume after the firse few drifts the smell will be gone, My wife hates the smell of them but you can only smell them when I have opened the boxes so I think that the exposure would be far less than if you were using them for protecting your clothes. (this is only my opinion I may be wrong).

I will post the tanning stuff for you when I have some time

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have saved about a million duck feathers from the birds, the ground, the water, and once i a while even a fly shop. I have never had a single bug or other odd thing pop up. It could happen one of these days, but so far I have never had a single problem. I just pluck 'em and stick 'em in a bag.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 PM

Red face Re: My Brother the Duck Hunter.. Feather Question?

Put some of these feathers to work today... Snow all over, rain soaked me to the bone, Hero cam flooded, phone got wet and broke, car had to be towed home, and a low flow... Should have been an awful day, but pounded the holes- 8 browns and 1 bow. So my day could have been a lot worst.....

Last edited by only adipose; 02-06-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 AM

Nice pics, esp like the wee brownie

I have posted it here in the tying forum

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Sounds like my typical day minus the fish ofcourse!!! Good on ya bro!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have saved about a million duck feathers from the birds, the ground, the water, and once i a while even a fly shop. I have never had a single bug or other odd thing pop up. It could happen one of these days, but so far I have never had a single problem. I just pluck 'em and stick 'em in a bag.
I hear ya Dan,

Perhaps we were born under the right sign. I have put up many a feather, tail, and fur both patches and clipped. My only defense against infestation has always been one or two moth balls in the drawers to keep the peace.

I have never had a problem with bugs. I am also part of the generation who grew up riding bicycles and sled riding with out helmets and body armor so I tend to look at the paranoia and hyperbole surrounding bugs in the tying materials as over blown. Not that someone cannot give testimony to it happening, just when considering the million plus fly tiers who haven't you shouldn't lose sleep on this issue. Like almost every aspect of life, a little common sense goes a long way.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;