The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Let's Talk Flesh Flies

I mentioned flesh flies in a different thread and asked if anyone is using flesh flies for brown trout. I didnt get a response but this is something I am curious about and if or how anyone else is using them.

I am using flesh %25-30 of the time and almost exclusively around labor day. The idea is to mimic loose pieces of dead salmon floating downstream.
I dont see why it wouldnt work in many of the western rivers and if anyone has experimented with them elsewhere. Ard said the Salmon River in NY would be a good place.

Does anyone use them? If you do what is your tecnique?
Generally I am literally letting them dead drift through pools and any other habitat. Except you dont really do a strip retrieve like most are using for streamers.

This is not my fly or picture but you get the idea. Most are fish and specifically salmon meat(rotting) colors. Often tied in the same fashion as your zonker bunny type patterns. Personally I wrap the shank in .035 lead. Then take a zonker strip tie in a tail then palmer the strip towards the head.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Let's Talk Flesh Flies

i love flesh flies. the ginger colors are my fav.

Click the image to open in full size.

DV on a flesh.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 AM

Nice one Casey!
I am going to assume that was up here. Does anyone use them in the lower 48 where you are at?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

not that i'm aware of.

ARFE
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I always assumed flesh flies were used in Alaska for the most part. I was at a tying demo at Cabela's this past Saturday, and Kevin Feenstra the tyer for the day demonstrated a flesh pattern he uses for Steelhead on the Muskegon in West Michigan. He said it was one of his better patterns for fall and winter Steelies.

Dan
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I use them around here, mostly to catch trout in the stocked streams. Although we did find the greenbacks in CO really liked them and started to catch tons of them with that. i use some peach marabou, couple strands of flash, then top it off with white.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
I always assumed flesh flies were used in Alaska for the most part. I was at a tying demo at Cabela's this past Saturday, and Kevin Feenstra the tyer for the day demonstrated a flesh pattern he uses for Steelhead on the Muskegon in West Michigan. He said it was one of his better patterns for fall and winter Steelies.

Dan
It is a must have up here. I have managed to catch big rainbows, lake trout, dolly varden and grayling all on the same day with the exact same pattern. It is very effective late in the season.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I use them around here, mostly to catch trout in the stocked streams. Although we did find the greenbacks in CO really liked them and started to catch tons of them with that. i use some peach marabou, couple strands of flash, then top it off with white.
Flash on them huh? I generally avoid flash or use very little with the exception of fishing downstream from a heavily used cleaning table where there is quite a bit of fresh "material" already floating downstream.

Generally I am using a ginger or pure white with no flash. When I fish down from the cleaning tables while every other idiot on the river is combat fishing for salmon, I am using more of an orange or red color depending on what is salmon is being caught. If it is sockeye(reds) I use a more red color because it better mimics thier meat. Whereas kings and silvers have a more orange or "salmon" meat color.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I've used flesh flies fishing Wisconsin and Michigan tribs to Lake Michigan. The fly you pictured would be a fair representative of the recent flesh flies I purchased (I don't tie - want to, just haven't been able to find the time - some day). I've had no success here with that specific pattern. However, another flesh fly I purchased was a little different and had a stran of flash through it that actually looked like a brighter skin rather than the flesh. That pattern caught me a number of fish on the Wisconsin side this year. The conclusion I drew from that was that it was more representative of a baitfish to the fish rather than flesh and that the flash drew the strike.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I've never really seen the appeal of hooking myself and pulling it loose with a little bitof skin in the name ofcatching fish... But hey, all the more power to ya!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerka View Post
Flash on them huh? I generally avoid flash or use very little with the exception of fishing downstream from a heavily used cleaning table where there is quite a bit of fresh "material" already floating downstream.
Im talking 3-5 pieces of pearl flash that almost blends in with the white when dry. Seems in the water though to add just that litttle bit of extra that make the fish take it vs just staring at it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher