The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 PM

G Whiz is on a distinguished road
Default South Fork American River Info

Headed up to Coloma, CA to fish the South Fork American River and practice fly fishing. However, I having "NO" experience on what to use, what type of rod to purchase, what type of line to use and most importantly, which fly patterns to purchase.

I know I should practice on casting, but it would be fun to actually catch something; and not look out of place with the wrong gear.

Any advice would be helpful.

BTW: If anyone lives up there or is going to be in the area, it would be great to hook up...

Thank,
Glen
Old 06-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Fork American River Info

Glen: I can't offer personal fishing advice, but I would recommend calling a fly shop in the Sac area or the Off the Hook Fly Shop in Placerville. Here is their link: Off The Hook Fly Shop
And here is a river report from Orvis Roseville (but it just says American River) but it might still be useful.
http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subj...indow=1&bhcp=1

Good luck.

Larry
Old 06-30-2009, 02:20 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Fork American River Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whiz View Post
Headed up to Coloma, CA to fish the South Fork American River and practice fly fishing. However, I having "NO" experience on what to use, what type of rod to purchase, what type of line to use and most importantly, which fly patterns to purchase.

I know I should practice on casting, but it would be fun to actually catch something; and not look out of place with the wrong gear.

Any advice would be helpful.

BTW: If anyone lives up there or is going to be in the area, it would be great to hook up...

Thank,
Glen
Hi Glen,
The South Fork of the American is pretty much in my backyard, but I don't fish it as much as I used to. A 9 foot 4 or 5 weight will cover your needs. Use 9 foot leaders 4x leaders. You can taper as small as 6x on your tippet end.

As for flies, a standard Sierra fly box will get you by.
Dries:
Adams (12 to 18)
Blue Wing Olives (16, 18)
Pale Morning Duns (16, 18)
Elk Hair Caddis (tan, olive, 12 to 16)
Stimulators (gold 10, 12, black 16, orange 8, 10)

Nymphs:
Caddis Pupa (green, tan, 12, 14)
Golden Stonefly (8, 10)
Brown Rubberlegs Stonefly (8)
Hare's Ear (12 to 16)
Pheasant Tail (12 to 16)
AP Nymph (16)

Streamers:
Woolly Bugger (olive, black, brown, 8 to 12)

The Wildcard:
Crawdad (8)

You are best fishing it in the latter part of the day. The flows are higher in the morning and afternoon for the rafters. The fishing has slowed down over the past few days. It has been hot (100 plus degree days) in the Coloma Valley. By the time the weekend starts with cooler temperatures, fishing should be back to normal.

MP