The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 04:29 PM

flyguyskt is on a distinguished road
Default 32 inch "state record" rinbow...1wt rod

well i hooked and landed a 32 inch bow today with a girth between 22 and 24 inches. she was a monster!!!

of course my camera was still in my suitcase at home after taking a trip this weekend! but i did have a federal judge with me to witness this beauty!

thing is after i measured her i simply revived her and let her go! hour later she was still swimming around in the same hole!
healthy as could be.

come back to work and put the measurement in the states fishing weight estimator and guess what... i was holding the south dakota state record!

cool. bad thing is in our state it must be weighed on a cert. scale and i wasn't about to kill that babe! it was a natural fish, it had all of its fins still attached and fully in tact. no runway marks on her anywhere!

my name may not be in the books but it should have been and i know now what i had!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: 32 inch "state record" rinbow...1wt rod

Great story... congrats on the state record!!!

Old 09-02-2006, 10:31 PM

kayakcruser is on a distinguished road

sweet

peacock hackle- $4.99

catching a fish on your own fly- priceless
Old 09-02-2006, 11:46 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I took a 34" X 27" bow in california 10 yrs ago one a 2 weight. Fun hardley expresses it..

Congrats
Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I use P-LINE 6lb. flourocarbon and either a Type II or Intermediate line. The fly choice was A modified Purple Showgirl with black foam across the back instead of marabou, a black and burnt orange softhackle,a black and orange bead head Hazbro (marabou nymph) and of course the HOT CHOCOLATE.
But I ain't stupid, this was on a 9 1/2 ft 6wt.

Total take for the weekend (about 3 1/2 to 4 hours Saturday and Sunday) was 10 fish.

Well, I am not sure on exact weight length or girth, but I swear he was in the 20lb range. I am 5'8" tall so you take a guess at it!.......

Click the image to open in full size.
And of course, release WHAT WAS I THINKING!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Fly Guy, I'll call it a record, and I'm glad you let it go. Hopefully i'll get a chance to catch one of its offspring one day.

Joni that's a heck of a fish as well. The spotting on the side of it kinda looked Atlantic Salmonish, especially at that size. That thing's a beast.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

diffently two very nice fish caught. here in indiana the coho are starting to make their way up the creeks. saw 1 coho, 1 nice brown trout, and 1 steelhead caught sunday. talked to local creel officer and he said he had heard of a couple of king's being hooked. including 1 that the person estimated at 15-20lbs plus. spooled the person out. hard to stop in a little creek. i'm still stuck in the smolt mode though.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:38 PM

Woolly is on a distinguished road

Both are fantastic fish. What a thrill!