The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 10:32 PM

schmitty is on a distinguished road
Default Advice for Southern boys headed West?

My buddy JP and I are heading west July 24th - August 1st. We're having a hard time narrowing down our options, and would appreciate any and all advice.

We are flying into SLC and will fish the first day on the Provo. From there we're going up to Idaho then Wyoming before heading back to SLC. Will be fishing hard, probably driving a lot at night, and sleeping very little.

We are considering which of the following will be best for Quality experience (some numbers fishing, some size fishing, avoid crowds, wilderness a plus - not scared to hike and/or rough it) and are trying to prioritize our time:

Options under consideration: Logan River, Blackfoot in Idaho, South Fork of the Snake, ***** Creek, Bechler River, Nez Pierce Creek, Teton River, Gros Ventre, North Fork, Upper Green River in Wyoming, Flaming Gorge Green in Utah.

Thanks again for any help/suggestions/warnings/advice/hookups/etc. With the late runoff this year, we're hoping to catch the fishing about perfect!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Southern boys headed West?

schmitty: Sounds like you will hit the rivers at a perfect time. The rivers around here are still running high but the levels are slowly receding. I haven't fished but a few of the rivers you are planning. The South Fork of the Snake is a BIG river best fished from a boat (I have only floated it once when the levels were at 13K cfs, last week it was at 26k), maybe once the water level recedes it could be waded, just not sure. Maybe someone else can comment on that. I have never fished the Gros Ventre but it looks like a great stream to wade and fish and there are numerous camping options. While in that area I would also consider Prospect Creek. I floated the Upper Green River in Wyoming, above the Warren Bridge north of Pinedale, WY the land is all BLM and there are numerous camping options and that river would be a good choice for wading. I was there early in the spring, but have heard reports from others that the mosquitos can get bad, bring repellent just in case. The Green River below Flaming Gorge Green in Utah would also be an excellent choice. There is a foot path that starts at the dam and goes all the way to the first takeout at Little Hole, 7 miles, there will be excellent fishing opportunities by wading, but the issue there is that there is no camping allowed along the river for the first 7 miles. Camping isn't allowed due to the steep canyon walls you can't get fire fighting gear in there in case of fires. There are numerous campgrounds in the general area or you could park at Little Hole and sign up for one of the first come first served campgrounds along the river below Little Hole. The issue with the campgrounds in the general area is that there was a wild fire a few years back that nearly wiped Dutch John out and took along with it all the shade trees. There are good shade trees at the campground at the boat launch near Flaming Gorge Resevoir Dam and also as you go up the hill past Flaming Gorge Resort there is a Firemans Memorial campground with lots of shade trees or like I said earlier camp along the river below Little Hole.
Sounds like you have a great trip planned, post a trip report when you get back and good luck!

Larry
Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM

schmitty is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the thoughtful advice Larry. We are looking into a float trip on the South Fork now, maybe the canyon section. Flamin Gorge is an interesting idea. We could fit that in Sunday instead of the Logan. Does it get crowded on weekends?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful advice Larry. We are looking into a float trip on the South Fork now, maybe the canyon section. Flamin Gorge is an interesting idea. We could fit that in Sunday instead of the Logan. Does it get crowded on weekends?
If you have the opportunity, I would highly recommend a float on the South Fork. When we floated it the flow was at 13k cfs and we did the canyon section easily. Later in the summer when the flows at 6k cfs the canyon would be better as an overnighter, but maybe it could be done in one very long day, just not sure, but the local guides will know. The Green River can get very busy on weekends, but I wouldn't let that detour your plans, from the dam the river flows through a deep canyon with red clay walls which in itself very beautiful and the river is crystal clear but with a green color. As you float the fish under the boat will scatter, it is an amazing river. If you decide to fish there and don't like camping there are only three places to stay: Trout Creek Flies has about 6 cabins, Flaming Gorge Resort has a motel and condos and then further up the hill is Red Canyon Lodge that has cabins on a small lake.

Larry
Old 07-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

Take lots of pictures, keep a journal, relax and have fun. Do a little sampling of lots of places and then return another time to the places you really liked. You can't do it all on one trip.

Though I do remember trying.....
in my younger days.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:30 PM

IDSTEELHEAD is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a good trip I'm not familiar with many of those rivers but I know of some in Idaho around the Salmon area. I would tell you that I live on the Salmon river and from here you have a ton of tributaries that produce good fish yesterday morning I hooked into eight from 18-22" in a salmon tributary and from here your only an hour away from the East Fork of the Bitteroot and an hour and a half from the west fork. Rock Creek around the Missoula area is right around the corner. And I saw you were interested in wilderness throughout your trip you would be fishing in some very gorgeous places includeing the Salmon-Challis national forest and the would be close to the Frank Church Wilderness of No Return. Not many people know that just across the Montana border is some great trout fishing alot of the places you mention have that reputation of great fishing which usually means crowds and over guiding. Let me know if your interested and I will give you some further details. I actually live in North Fork, ID and it's only 6 1/2 hours north of Salt Lake
Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 AM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road

Used to live in idaho and your realy limiting your self with only hitting the snake and blackfoot I would rather hit big hole little hole and silver creek before any thing els in idaho also how long you guys over for?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Wright View Post
Take lots of pictures, keep a journal, relax and have fun. Do a little sampling of lots of places and then return another time to the places you really liked. You can't do it all on one trip.

Though I do remember trying.....
in my younger days.
Stan: That is excellent advise, I would agree whole heartedly.

Larry
Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 AM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltonwynn View Post
Used to live in idaho and your realy limiting your self with only hitting the snake and blackfoot I would rather hit big hole little hole and silver creek before any thing els in idaho also how long you guys over for?
Sorry I was still asleep when I wrote this and dreaming about my trip to dillon in a few days I ment to say big wood and little wood
Old 07-22-2009, 05:01 PM

jefwel is on a distinguished road

I'm a Southern boy, and I had the same trip a few years back. You're in for a treat. It's also a different type of fishing. I'm jealous and wih I was back there now!