The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 PM

Armando will become famous soon enough
Default 6 pound male rainbow

Hi

I recovered my trout fishing here in Colombia a month ago, this is a dam called Neusa, and its actually where I began flyfishing. Something like 16 years ago. Great place, lots of trout, big ones too. But then fishing drop badly and I focused into summmer peacock and payara fishing in the Orinoco.
That means a year waiting to soak a fly if I didnt travel to the caribean for some bonefish action in the middle of the year.
After 4 or 5 years I went back, friends told me fishing was good again.
So I looked for my float tube, my waders and my # 4 rod and drove to the lake.
First time there and had strikes and a few small rainbows. Enough to be there every week end.
A week ago while fishing a dragon fly pattern on a #4 hook - dragon flies there are huge - I had a great day, strikes everywhere, 3 nice rainbows and then a six pounder.
A very nice and fat male that hit that fly as hard as he could and after a great fight returned to his house.
Now I have fishing again, 1 hour drive from home in Bogotá.
Here are some pics.

Click the image to open in full size.

The release

The fly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0910.jpg (96.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0915.jpg (94.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1267.jpg (84.7 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 6 pound male rainbow

Very nice!!!! That damsel is nice. You tie it yourself???? That fish wouldda been a blast on any rod but a 4wt. WOW!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, very nice fish, you must have had a very good fight on your hands and I bet that rainbow pulled you around the lake some during the fight using a 4 wt!

Larry
Old 07-08-2009, 06:12 PM

Oh yeah you bet, that fight was magnified on the #4, thats the first big fish I've caught on it.
And yes thats tied by me, but not a damsel, those are thin, thats a dragon fly, bigger, fatter and tougher.
My main flies in stillwater are those dragons and zonkers or variations with wool heads.

Thanks for the commentaries
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful fish! I am surprised that there is trout fishing in Columbia. I have never been there I always guessed that it was mainly tropical forests and beautiful sand beaches. Well that just shows my ignorance. Anyway, nice fish and keep them coming.

Marc.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Armando-

Great fish, that is a real trophy! I bet he pulled you around the lake in that float tube.

And that's a great looking fly. Very buggy looking- no wonder it works in salt water too- it looks like it could be a shrimp/crab/small baitfish as well as a great imitation of a freshwater dragonfly nymph. (Yours are much bigger than ours- you have dragonflies on steroids! )

Congratulations on the fish and thanks for the report.

mark
Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fish,beautiful fly, beautiful landscape,handsome fisherman
Old 07-09-2009, 11:49 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice looking bow...and a very nice pattern. I never dreamed there would be trout fishing in Columbia...

Dan
Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 PM

Thanks a lot

Colombia has rainbows since the 50s, not endemic, but they did good living here and growing big, depends on the lake but Ive seen 12 pounders 15 pounders and even a 25 pounder!! in a lake colled Tota.
Colombia is tropical, but the Andes mountain chain has higher lakes and low temps including snow.
Bogota is 2600 meters over sea level and that lake where I fish is 3000 meters high.

So there you go, kind of a fresh water grand slam, trout, some very wild fish cousins of the argentinian dorado a thousand meters lower and then peacocks and payaras and many more on sea level. Several hours apart of course but thats a blast!!

Here are some pics of my Ninfalible nymph (the green with rubbers is a variation) and the actual nymph and the fight.

Best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0894.jpg (98.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg ninfalibles.jpg (85.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0905.jpg (85.6 KB, 82 views)