The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Has anyone ever caught a Sturgen on a FlyRod?

Hello fellow flyfishes! I've learned that we have Sturgen in our home waters the Etowah...... has anyone caught a Sturgen with a FlyRod? We'll be heading to the river this saturday to try our luck out on the warm species such as Shoal Bass,Spotted Bass, Stripers and Sturgen. Any help on Sturgens I'd sure appricate any info! Tight Lines!
GeorgiaFlyGuide

Lambster
Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone ever caught a Sturgen on a FlyRod?

I have not, but I know someone who has. One of my guide friends took a client striper fishing in San Francisco Bay. The sturgeon took a Clouser Minnow. It was pretty much dumb luck.

MP
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

i havent..i cant even imagine the feeling of that... but just wondering what weight fly rod will you use?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 AM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

I'd think a 8 or 10wt. Rod with heavy leaders!!!!!!! We use salt water leaders but haven't hooked one yet..... we've tryed two times with no luck! Our river has alot of them but I guess they feed at night or early morning..... alot of the bait guys use shad or night crawlers..........
GeorgiaFlyGuide
Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

keep me posted if you get one...im curious how they will fight
Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure one of the younger members on the forum did this last year, although he might have switched to bait at that point in his trip. I can't remember the details, but a quick search ought to pull it up.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:45 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I'm pretty sure one of the younger members on the forum did this last year, although he might have switched to bait at that point in his trip. I can't remember the details, but a quick search ought to pull it up.
Eh, I think I was wrong. I don't think it was on a fly rod:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...html#post34039

Okay, ignore these last two posts...
Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the Rainy River in N. Minnesota. We have Lake Sturgeon in the river and I have been thinking about this a lot. I thinkt the first thing is I'm going to have to wait till the current is slow. ( So the line can get to and stay on the bottom ) I am ordering a Rio leviathan sinking head. They weigh something like 1180 gr.. It takes a 12 weight rod to roll cast it. I'm then going to use the thinnest running line I can find. Maybe even resort to mono. I tied a fly that is like a giant version of the San Jaun Worn. I tied it in a #2 circle hook. I call it the San Onofre worm after the S. California nuke plant. The IGFA does not allow scent, but the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame does. I can't see any way to do it without scent and have it work. I have everything ready to go except the shooting head and the dang river won't slow down.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a couple I caught the old fashioned way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sturgeon58.jpg (13.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg sturgeon61.jpg (12.5 KB, 29 views)