The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Hennessy will become famous soon enough
Default peru and chile, trout fishing

i will be heading to peru to check out machu pichu in 2 weeks then down to santiago chile for a few days, does anyone have any info on self guided and easy access fishing spots in that area of the world??

thanks

mike
Old 07-11-2009, 11:25 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: peru and chile, trout fishing

Is that a safe area to be wandering off alone???
Old 07-12-2009, 12:46 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

I lived in La Paz, Bolivia fromm 1995 to 1999. I went trout fishing at some high mountain lakes (~14,500 ft) and streams (~10,000 ft) near La Paz. I have been to Peru many times including MP; I doubt that there are any trout waters around MP or Cuzco. If there are, they would have to be private because the locals would clean them out with nets and worse. For example, they raise lake trout in pens in Lake Titicaca, but the lake itself no longer has any real population.

I have been in the lake district on the Argentina side a couple of times (San Carlos De Bariloche), but it was always the wrong time to trout fish. You will need to travel from Santiago to their side of the lake district or even farther south to the fiords. I have not done it, but I did plan a trip that we never took. We planned to visit the area around Villa Rica, which you can reach by car, plane or train from Santiago. I would expect that you could fish on you own, but at least one day with a guide might help.

Chile is very safe, and the areas around MP and Cuzco are fairly safe.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
i will be heading to peru to check out machu pichu in 2 weeks then down to santiago chile for a few days, does anyone have any info on self guided and easy access fishing spots in that area of the world??

thanks

mike

Mike,

Check out the thread entitled: "Patagonia on the Fly"; posted on 03/29/09.

My wife and I fished in the Northern Patagonia Lakes District back in March of this year. The three most famous trout streams in that area are the Petrohue, the Puelo and the Yelcho. All are accessible from Puerto Montt, which is located at the Northern end of Patagonia.

Fishing is great. Fishing pressure is almost non-existant and the people are very friendly.

Consider the season before heading down there if you're going in 2 weeks. Their seasons are flipped vs. ours. So, it's now their December-like weather down there. For example, my niece's husband just opened the El Alpa ski area last weekend. He said that they had plenty of snow.

I'd call ahead to a place like YanKee Way and see what the fishing is like this time of year. The same would be true for Argentinian Patagonia at this time of year.

Whatever you decide to do - have fun on your trip!

Pocono
Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 AM

Hennessy will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys appreciate your insight

I do not have time to go to the South

I will take my rod anyway and just look for a tailwater near a dam and go for it

mike