The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM

kpp80202 is on a distinguished road
Default Tips on finding decent high country lakes?

I would like to try fishing off the beaten path here in Colorado, and am wondering what tips you have on locating decent high country lakes. I have my topo maps, and see tons of little lakes in the mountains, but am not sure which ones would have decent fish to catch (C&R, of course). I'd rather not spend a bunch of weekends trying unproductive lake after unproductive lake. I figure bigger is better, or at least deeper is better, but am not sure about other things to look for. Can anyone help?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Tips on finding decent high country lakes?

Hi kpp80202,

I think your best bet is the Fish and Game office close to that area. The will know what lakes have fish and what lakes have been planted. I have spent many great hours hiking and fishing the High Sierras of central California. It is a very special way to fish.

Frank
Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks Frank--we can always count on you for a good, fast answer. I'll definitely give that a try.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Last week I was in Sports Chalet browsing and picked up a map titled "Sequoia and Kings Canyon". The salesperson said that it was waterproof. I glanced through it. It looked like it was a map for backpackers with trails, etc. The one thing that I noticed was it showed every lake/pond of any size. Wish that I would have bought it. Bet there is one like it for Colorado.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM

Leyther is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpp80202 View Post
I would like to try fishing off the beaten path here in Colorado, and am wondering what tips you have on locating decent high country lakes. I have my topo maps, and see tons of little lakes in the mountains, but am not sure which ones would have decent fish to catch (C&R, of course). I'd rather not spend a bunch of weekends trying unproductive lake after unproductive lake. I figure bigger is better, or at least deeper is better, but am not sure about other things to look for. Can anyone help?
I cannot really help you with finding a detailed map, however the following two links will give you some places to start your adventures.

Colorado Mountain Club's Fly Fishing Section - Colorado Wilderness Areas
Colorado Fishing Network: High Country Trout
Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 AM

teachermitch is on a distinguished road

See if this helps. Amazon.com has several books you may be interested in. Do a search in the Books section using "fly fishing,colorado". Here are a couple I thought might be good.

Amazon.com: Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry: Rich Osthoff: Books

Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Colorado (Flyfishers Guide): Marty Bartholomew: Books

Hope this helps and have fun.

Mitch
Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 AM

Great--thanks for the advice! I have some (fun) work to do.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:25 AM

RMTrouter is on a distinguished road

Here is a good site that I just joined. Join the forum, there's alot more info.

Colorado Mountain Fishing Home
Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

FLY SHOPS PEOPLE!!!

Walk into the nearest fly shop with a 6-pack and start asking for info. If you end up talking to the owner, buy some stuff and keep the beer for yourself for later. They'll likely have a map you can buy too. I know Taylor Creek Fly Shop in Basalt, CO is happy to work this way. Arkanglers in Buena Vista didn't even need beer.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

My neighbor turned me on to this book. It's a general fishing guide not just fly fishing but it's full of great info.
Click the image to open in full size.
Available on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Colorado Fishing Guide & Atlas: Adler Publishing: Books