The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The True Meaning of Coldwater Fly Fishing

Recently my son Mike and friend Ryan were invited to participate in an outdoor adventure with a film crew from Outdoor Idaho along with a local camera crew. The outing resulted in a print article in the local newspaper (Post Register - Idaho Falls, ID), and most recently this week in a news magazine story on television Tight Line Media | Outdoor News | Southeast Idaho | Video Production .

They will then be a part of an Outdoor Idaho segment on Idaho Public Television in July.

The only problem with the outing was that when a film crew decides to shoot, they set a date and it becomes firm - come rain, shine or frozen leaders

The guys found themselves on the South Fork of the Snake River with a two-person film crew on the coldest day of the year thus far in the Idaho Falls area. The film segment said it started at minus 18 degrees F. and moved down to minus 20 at sunrise. The local news reported that evening that we had tied a record set in 1956 (the year I was born ) at minus 21 degrees - Brrrrrrrrrr.

So, tough as these two guys may appear, know that we don't usually get out on the water if the temps dip below 20 degrees above zero. In all they had a great time and got their fifteen minutes of fame, so to speak.

Kelly.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: The True Meaning of Coldwater Fly Fishing

Kelly, that's show bus, "the show must go on!"
A great opportunity, to learn and teach too.
Congrats.

Jim
Old 02-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: My hat is off to your boy Mike and friend Ryan! Fishing while it is that cold takes some real determination! I have some 5mm neopreme waders from Alaska that I use for winter fishing, but I don't think that would help much when it gets that far below zero.

That was a great video segment!

Larry

Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

You guys must be true diehards. I find that I'm not so adventurous as I get older. The last time I fish cool temps it was a tropical 38 degrees out and snowing. My toes froze despite wool sock. The only remedy I had was coffee which encourages frequent fluid exchanges in the woods. This year I got some newer wading boots to allow me to wear thicker wool socks and possibly one of those warming packs.
Do any of you guys wear electric socks while wading cool water??? I can tolerate cool legs but frozen toes hurts.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the film clip! Sweet Jesus it looked cold ... and fly casting over moving ice? Now that IS hard core.

fae
Old 03-09-2011, 12:24 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Been there done that...got the frostbitten toes! I like having to walk out onto the ice until you fall through before you can fish! Actually had to do it that way once. Then you have to push the icebergs downstream, and rest the fish for 20 minutes and hope they didn't flee the area completely when you cleared the ice out.