The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 AM

anemec is on a distinguished road
Default Silver Salmon August Run in the Kenai Peninsula Area- Information Please

I'm heading up to visit some friends in Anchorage in mid to late August, possibly even early September. I haven't booked the tickets yet because I was wanting to get some Silver Salmon fishing in while I'm there. Does anyone have any news on when the run might be strongest during that timeframe?

Also does anyone have recommendations for strong fishing streams around the Turnagain arm or further into the Kenai Peninsula? Is the Kasilof a strong producer? I read that Ship's creek was pretty good. Is that true? Had a good time there last year with the Pinks.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silver Salmon August Run in the Kenai Peninsula Area- Information Please

anemec: When I lived in Alaska I fished for Silvers in late August and early September primarily on the Kenai and the streams along the Parks Hwy and yes the Kasilof has Silvers. I can't remember when the run is the strongest. Here is a link I found that shows a fish calendar, scroll down toward the bottom.
Alaska Salmon Fishing
If Ard doesn't see this post you might want to PM him (Hardyreels) as he lives in Wasila and loves to fish Silvers.

Larry
Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Silver Salmon August Run in the Kenai Peninsula Area- Information Please

Hi anemec,

I haven't been there for years but the first couple of weeks of September is the best time for Silvers. The Kenai is a huge big river and is tough to fish with out a boat. Then you need to know where to fish. If you don't hook up with a guide it will be tough.

You will have the same problem with the Kasilof. It is not as big as the Kenai but you have access problems. There is just not many places to reach the water.

Ship Creek has fish but it is a Zoo when the fish are in. They also have a lot of restrictions on when you can fish. I never fished it in the mid seventies because there were just too many people. I can only imagine what it is like now.

Ard can tell you about the Little Sue but I think he is at his cabin right now. One thing to consider is to charter a flight to one of the rivers close to Anchorage. Close meaning a 30 minute flight. You don't get the guiding but they put you on a spot that has fish. It is pretty much up to you to catch them.

Frank
Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Thanks Frank and mcnerney.

I was up there last year and fished the Kasilof and the Kenai in July. (Definitely wouldn't/couldn't do either of those without a boat. And the Russian was just combat fishing which doesn't appeal to me too much.) The thing I noticed last year was that even though the run charts showed "strong" runs for when I was there, all of the runs were late so there were only a few fish.

So I was really hoping to hear from someone like Ard who is there on the ground and might know what the locals are thinking as far as when the runs might be expected.

That being said I am starting to focus on the 18th to the 26th. But may push it back a week depending on what Ard has to say.

What rivers would you recommend for the charter flight option?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

anemec: All the sources I talked to last year said the same thing, the salmon runs were all late and not very strong. I wouldn't plan your trip on what happened last year, but who knows the same thing could happen this summer. The guy I fish most with here in town tries to get up to the Kenai every year. Last year he said the fishing was dismal, and he chartered a guide almost every day for the week he was there.

Larry
Old 07-19-2009, 07:32 PM

I've spoken with a few people and it looks like I might be able to hit the early Silver run, as well as get into a few nice steelhead. Which would be nice.

I also heard a rumor, which I can't confirm (maybe someone here knows) that felt soled wading boots are either outlawed or on their way to being outlawed. I couldn't find it in the F&G regs so I thought I'd ask you guys. Anyone have any info?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 AM

AKJay will become famous soon enough

Hey anemec, I thought you might want a little input from someone actually up here. Silvers are starting to show up all over the Kenai Peninsula area as well as the Parks Hwy streams but not in any real numbers yet. All the runs seem to be a week or two behind this year but silvers should be increasing the in the coming week or so. Right now, pinks are inundating the waters with a few chum and silvers in the mix. I would expect the strongest run of silvers to be mid-August til early September but there is no way of knowing really. This warm summer up here has really screwed with the water levels and conditions overall.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:45 AM

AKJay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemec View Post
I also heard a rumor, which I can't confirm (maybe someone here knows) that felt soled wading boots are either outlawed or on their way to being outlawed. I couldn't find it in the F&G regs so I thought I'd ask you guys. Anyone have any info?
By the way, I forgot to address your rumor... The rumor is true. According to my buddies at F&G, they voted in February to prohibit the use of felt soled waders but not until 2011. Its part of a move to help stop the spread of non-native plants and fish between water systems.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 AM

Thanks AKJay I appreciate the local knowledge. Planning on heading that way in exactly a month. So hopefully I'll time it right this time. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed.)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM

butchhe is on a distinguished road

Being that this is my first post in this forum, which I have just found, I'm glad I can provide some eyes on the ground for you being that I live in Anchorage. It's nice to help on the first post than to ask a question.

The best source of information that I can give you is to check the Alaska Outdoor Journal.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/

This is a staple for most fisherman here in AK. It will have charts on how many fish are passing the sonar counters, private angler reports, Emergency orders from Fish and Game, etc.

The waters on the Kenai are starting to recede after a dam broke on one of the lakes above the Kenai. Waters are high and fast, but fishing still remains good. A lot of people are limiting out within an hour or so.

I have been taking my wife and kids to Ship's Creek the last few days and teaching them to fish for silvers and pinks. There are plenty of them in there, and in my freezer! I prefer fishing low tide as you can see the fish mving up the creek. Be prepared for fighting the mud. It is thick and relentless, but not bad on the creek floor. During high tide, there is good fishing if you want to throw vibrex or pixies.

I hope this helps you out and if I can help out with any other info.