The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 AM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Question Anyone Heard of "Angler's Roost NYC"?

I am asking because when i was quite young (in the mid 90s) my grandfather had found out about someone selling a bunch of fly rods cheap. He heard that they were really nice and figured i might like a new rod. Someone must have passed and was just trying to get rid of them. So there they where in the the corner of this bar kinda place. There were at-least 15 rods, i took my time and looked at each one. Neither of us knew anything about trout fishing, but recognized quality, I told him we should buy them all but we ended up only buying two. I knew one day i was going to become a trout fishermen so i wanted to be ready, and the funny thing is, that if you mention it to him today he says "we should have bought the whole lot of them." So one rod was mine and one was his. I used mine very lightly and i dont think he has never fished his.. Now that im finally getting into trout fishing, he offered me his rod. I get it today and started to wonder about the history of the rods.

They are both obviously custom rods built by the same person.

my rod says "Fisher's graphite" Its an 8 and a half foot 2-3 weight

My grandfather's Rod says "Angler's Roost NYC" its a 6 foot 4 weight

Does this mean anything to anyone?? I did a quick google and anglers roost was what seemed like a famous fly shop from the mid 80s, thats about all i know. Any info is appreciated- its kinda cool thinking my rods might have a cool history..
Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Heard of "Angler's Roost NYC"?

There are some angler's roost rods on ebay:IM6 Graphite Rod, 10 ft., 3pce., 3/4 wt A Great Rod. - eBay (item 300528385461 end time Feb-26-11 18:53:26 PST)
may get some info from this guy.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Anglers Roost does a lot of selling on eBay. Joni bought a Vom Hoffe repro from him. POS. He has cheap stuff, and if it's a guy named Bobo, he's an a-hole. You'll find out if you ever have to correspond with the guy. Most of his stuff is lower end Chinese. McNair loves him though. Sells bamboo blanks for about $80. Graphite for $30
The AR rod, If you like it, use it, I wouldn't put much stock in it though.
Now the J Kennedy Fisher rod, that's a different story. Winston used to have JKF build their blanks for years. It's a very good blank, one of the best for it's time (and for that matter, all time) and people seek out these blanks and finished rods.
Fish 'em if you got 'em.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Along with Abercrombie & Fitch, Angler's Roost was the fly shop in Manhattan and was owned and operated by Jim Deren who died in 1983. Anyone who was anybody in New York went there to swap stories.
I was never there myself, but I've read about the place a number of times in magazine columns in Fly Fisherman

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

"The Angler’s Apothecary" by Edward Quigley,
Fly Fisherman Volume 7, #3 March 1973

Quote:
"I know an unlikely man, a famous man, a man whose name is gold-leafed onto the lore of trout fishing in the East. He’s a rooster and lives in an Angler’s Roost. His name is Jimmy Deren.
The Angler’s Roost is a walk-up apothecary shop specializing in relief of the fishermen’s malady. You have to sidle in, then turn sideways to the left, then sideways to the right, then drop your left shoulder, and then move up to the counter. Yesterday’s mail, and the day before’s, and the day before the day before’s mail is piled there and you are standing in the most incredible disarray of angling equipment that could possibly be imagined. It is a veritable angling kaleidoscope. Creels and boots, rods and reels, and flys and flashlights and knives and books and lines and ointments and oils and wings and beaks and barrels full of feathers and behind the counter, always in a kind of soft, reposing anger, is Jimmy Deren, reading something." "… ‘And I’d like some hooks. I’d like some #10’s, extra long shank." ’And what do you want those for?’ Jimmy growls like a dog at his bowl. "Well, I thought I’d tie some nymphs." ’you don’t want that kind of hook. Here’s what you want." And again without moving, Jimmy tosses a little packet of hooks on the desk with ‘ten-n’ neatly printed on the packet. You call out the rest of your order while being growled at and corrected on each item until you’re done. I remember once trying to buy a flashlight he had in the glass case on the wall. ’You don’t want that goddam thing,’ he said. ’It’s not worth a damn.’ And no matter how much I pleaded, he wouldn’t sell it to me. So this is Jimmy Deren, old rooster, who badgers, reprimands, instructs and cajoles every customer who sidles into the Angler’s Roost. The old rooster who sits there with his thinning crewcut comb, making noises at you deep in his throat, and you love every minute of it because you know you’re talking to Jimmy Deren." "… And when you leave you know you’ve visited an oracle – and as you are leaving he calls out in sounds you almost mistake for his clearing his throat – ‘Have fun!’…" Woods Hole, MA USA
fredaevans and hairwing530 like this.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:06 AM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Anyone Heard of "Angler's Roost NYC"?

I feel like the "Anglers Roost" rod was not made by them but possibly for them. I'd be willing to bet that they are both fisher blanks. It is clearly made by the same person as the other, and not for nothing, it is a really nice rod. I am really excited to fish the 6 footer for some brookies this spring..

Thanks for the info, keep it coming (if possible) , I'm a dork i find it kind of exciting...
Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

... if it's a five strip rod, it was made by Nathanial Uslan.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Is there 2 Anglers Roost's out there? NYC and Canada?

edit- Riptide, there's quite a few out there it looks like. I'm wondering if the one you're talking about is the same shop? This Anglers Roost and the ebay shop are the same and is in Williamsville NY.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 AM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
This Anglers Roost and the ebay shop are the same and is in Williamsville NY.
Williamsville is 400 miles away from NYC though.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:52 AM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Looks like the NYC store closed its doors back in 1985.

OUTDOORS - OUTDOORS - ANGLER'S ROOST A LURE TO THE END - NYTimes.com
Old 06-23-2014, 09:24 AM

swilliams is on a distinguished road

At the suggestion of a friend, I made the trip to Angler's Roost back in around 1981 or 1982, assured that it was the "real deal". I think there was an Orvis store over between Madison and Park at the time, but the staff were not true fishermen. I remember going into the shoebox of a location and chatting with a gentleman who was owlish and full of stories. It felt like a religious encounter with a high priest of fishing. It is sad but not suprising to hear that the Roost and its owner are gone. It is a little like the closing of the Madison Pub, another Manhattan institution that has been replaced by locales that are not the same and try to reach for the qualities that have been left behind by some of these classic places.