The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Stripers eating our DH Trout

We've come to enjoy the DNR putting in trout for our DH but the problem is we have stripers from West Point Lake coming up river eating the stocked fish! Its a waste of tax payers money but gives the fly fishers a place to wet a line......... I just think these fish could be put in the Toccoa River below the tailwaters where we've had a Lake draw down! We lost alot of fish do to the repair on the Dam at Lake Blue Ridge, it will take years of stocking trout in our cleanest river in our state. You got the bait chunckers that leave their trash behind as well as keep limites of trout which I know is their rights. We just don't have a slot limit on the Toccoa River but do have a upper DH but they need to have a lower DH which we don't have.The Hooch DH problem with the stripers is a big problem.......... Toccoa River dosn't have a striper problem.......why not put those fish in the lower Mckaysville area where it would serve the flyfishing folks?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:56 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Stripers eating our DH Trout

Sounds like a great place for a 10 wt and a big rainbow trout colored fly.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

If you cant beat em join em.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "DH" stand for?

Dave
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

To me it means "Downhill", but in this case it's for "delayed harvest". milt.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Cochise, tie up some rainbow T&A Bunkers and tear some big ones up.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If your rednecks are like our rednecks, the stripers might be getting some help.

For years, the state of Oklahoma has stocked the Blue River near Tishomingo with rainbows in the winter. The arrangement of the river works pretty well for trout in the colder months, but it gets too hot in the summer for them to survive.

One of the top inland striper fisheries in the country, Lake Texoma and the Red River tailrace, is about 50 miles south of the Blue. Game wardens discovered that guys were catching the rainbows on the blue, throwing them in a livewell, and fishing them as live bait on/below lake Texoma. Sometimes it was even guides using the stocker rainbows as bait.

Turns out 30lb stripers like a 10" rainbow snack QUITE well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:00 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Cliff, isn't that a Redfish?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
Cliff, isn't that a Redfish?
In my sig, yes.

Just a coincidence that I was also talking about another type of 30" fish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Fly fishing gods forgive me but I think, if it were me that is, I would give up on the gentle and subtle presentations required for trout. Stalking the giant sea monsters that enjoy eating rainbows as much as I do sounds like hunting bear with a handgun, intense and formidable

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'