The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM

Hoser41 is on a distinguished road
Default Alaska salmon and rainbows

Going to Kodiak in Sept. One of the guides sent me some info about what I should bring. Think we are targeting mainly silvers but also Rainbows and Dolly. He said I should use a 7wt rod with Rio versitip line. What is the story with that type of line. Will it be something I would use locally for steelhead. Also any idea what size and length of leader and tippet I should use for salmon and rainbow. I am assuming that I should use different sizes and maybe length.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska salmon and rainbows

Hoser,
For what Rio says, click here.

The Rio Coldwater VersiTip line is a multi use line. The line consists of a body section and four to five 15 foot interchangeable tips (VersiTips) of different sink rates, so you can get your fly to the proper depth to where the fish are holding. The "tip kit" consists of a floating, an intermediate, type 3, type 6, and type 8 (only in WF8-10) sections. This takes the guess work of trying to figure out what lines to take with you.

The VersiTip line is also a good line when Steelhead and shad make their runs into the Lower American, Lower Feather, and Lower Yuba.

In regards to leader strategy, here are some tactics. When you use the floating and intermediate sections, use a 7.5 to 9 foot leader tapered down to the size that works with the size of your fly and the size of the fish that you are targeting. For the type 3, type 6, and type 8 tips, use a 3 to 4 foot straight leader of 8 to 12 pound test of quality monofilament.

If you decide to use a 7 weight rod, get the WF8 VersiTip line that way you get the type 8 tip. Most 7 weight rods can throw an 8 weight line easily. You may run into a few holes in which the type 6 tip might not reach.

MP