The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 PM

Wado13Mexico is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wado13Mexico
Question What are your favorite brook trout flies?

For Native or stocked will they work? Post a picture of the pattern if you have it or post a link where a picture shows the fly if you can. If not just leave the name of the flies that will catch them brookies!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What are your favorite brook trout flies?

Brook trout are the only salmonid I fish for. Brown and 'bows are rather rare in my neck of the woods. Over the years, I have slimmed down my selection of flies:

Dries: Adams-Phillips Usual-Irresistible all in sizes 12 to 18.

Nymphs: GRHE-Pheasant Tail sizes 12-18

Streamers: Muddler minnow-black nose dace-woolly bugger sizes 8 to 12

Terrestrials: Dave's Hopper-cinnamon ant sizes 10 to 16

Marc
Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Parachute Adams - anytime day or night. Don't know why I even bother trying anything else.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:55 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Zebra midge or any terrestrial in my area
Old 07-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
Parachute Adams - anytime day or night. Don't know why I even bother trying anything else.
Night and day...you are the one...great song!
I only fish my patterns,you'll see them on the forum when Pocono makes the pics....
Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Ants of various sizes, and beetles...

Dan
Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I tied this suede streamer up many years back and the only thing I have ever caught on it is Brook Trout. Lots of them up to around 5lbs. in one particular lake. I know it is a fluke but hey you never know where else it will work. I think when it is wet it represents a dragonfly nymph.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Kerry,

Please PM the materials list for your suede fly, it looks like it'll work here.

Wado,

I grew up in North Central Pennsylvania and became a tier of feather wing streamers when I began tying flies. They are a bit frilly but these two were effective where ever I fished for Salvelinus fontinalis aka brook trout. If you really love them, as I do pick up a copy of Nick Karas ; Brook Trout. It is very informative and provides an historical account of the linage of our modern day brook trout.

Lew Oatman's Brook Trout Minnow;
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
A variation of the Nine Three, the original pattern works just fine;
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

For dry flies I always liked the Bi Visible and if a more articulated pattern was called for many of my local creeks had thick hatches of the may fly that is represented by the Female Beaverkill. I had fishing buddies who preferred elk hair caddis but I liked the more traditional Catskill style patterns. I don't have any photos of the two flies I mentioned on file but they are old and easy to find in any good reference book on patterns.

Ard
Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I sent you a PM, let me know if anyone else wants the recipe.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

Kerry send me recipe too

I like Adams (especially Parachute) or Usual for dry....Mickey Finn or Black Nosed Dace for streamer ....Pheasant Tail nymph works well (yeah I know nothing much different than anybody else LOL LOL)
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach