The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Question A good trout net?

Im looking into buying a net that will mainly be used for trout..maybe an ocasional gill or other small pan fish...i would like it it to be cheap yet dependable and not to heavy cause its got to hang on the back of my vest...ive looked at cabelas but the nets there that i liked either came apart or there mesh when hooked with a fly would tear..so i was just wondering what you all use

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_175-3-5

this net dont look to bad but idk theres no reviews to help me make a choice

Last edited by flyfisher117; 08-02-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 PM

2Rymans is on a distinguished road

Check this out. Nets

This thread had a lot of good information.

Jim
Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I have a Brodyn Excailber, ghost net. Great people to deal with, fine workmanship.
Love it's fish freindlyness, but it's too big for your/my vest. Check out the smaller sizes, they are sweet!

Bigfly
Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough

i have looked at there nets and there are two that i like but idk what ones for me

http://www.brodin.com/SBFirehole.html
or
http://www.brodin.com/SB_Cut.html

the thing i like about the net like the firehole is its a little slimmer so thats less of a chance for it to snag on something im passing but landing a fish in the cut net would make it a lot easier to land fish...and they are in my price range
Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Just my two cents, but if your in the market for a new net and it is in your price range, I would recommend a rubber mesh net vice the nylon mesh. Over time you will find that your fly hooks get tangled far less in the rubber over the nylon style, which means a lot less hassle each time you catch a fish.

Larry
Old 08-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

The Brodin Ghost Net series is a great net. The bag is thermoplastic and I think lighter than a rubber net. You get the same non-snag feature as you do with rubber. The net pretty well disappears in the water so less likely to spook the fish.

Not Cheap but a good company and they back up their nets.

Frank

The Galiten Trout Net.
Click the image to open in full size.

The Trout Model
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:41 PM

thanks Larry ive looked at rubber nets an cabelas has one ive thought about its just a little big but i just cant see spending 100 bucks + for a net. that money could buy me a lot of other stuff i need
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Rubber nets by Fisknat

We use fisknat nets which work great and don't weigh much.....! Also the wood handles are real and very colorful, built very well for the money!

GeorgiaFlyGuide
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

The Brodin Ghost Net series is a great net. The bag is thermoplastic and I think lighter than a rubber net. You get the same non-snag feature as you do with rubber. The net pretty well disappears in the water so less likely to spook the fish.

Not Cheap but a good company and they back up their nets.
Frank, I couldn't agree with you more. I think I mentioned all this somewhere else in the Forum earlier, but I have one of those collapsible Norwegian triangular telescopic nets that come with nylon netting. Because of "fish friendly" reasons as well as getting tired of untangling tandem rigs in it, I replaced the netting with replacement black rubber netting from Cabelas. It fit fine, but weighed a ton. Being mainly a hiking wader, where weight makes a big difference, I bought a replacement PVC net from Brolin. It fit fine, and literally weighed half as much as the black rubber netting. It's equally fish friendly, hooks don't snag in it and its translucent "color" doesn't spook fish when you net them. Brolin nets - either replacement netting or whole net - are real winners.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Brodin will sell the Ghost netting so you can add it to your own net frame. Here are the measurments. The shape of the net doesn't make a lot of difference but you can't get one that is smaller than the outside meauserment of the net frame. The information is on the Brodin site.

Frank

Net bag
Circumference
PriceSmall
34"
$23.00Medium
39"
$24.00Large
45"
$25.00Extra Large
56"
$28.00