The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default "BJAC" Creek and a couple of other places

I decided to write a report to help get my mind off of the other events that took place after this trip.

Yesterday was my much anticipated trip to a little place that I had been waiting to fish all year. It is funny how much a place can change in nine short months. I left my house early in the morning so I could have a nice full day of fishing.

When I got to my destination I noticed a lot of nice looking flowers. The water looked like I remembered it. I made my way down to the water and began to fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

It did not take long before the first willing resident took my #14 EHC. The fish was about what I was expecting to see from this place given the time that it was. I continued to fish as I hiked up stream finding plenty of willing residents to take my EHC.

Continued to to 4 photo limit per post.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

After catching a ton of little fish I decided to mess around for a bit by throwing on a #10 rubber leg stimulator. Just like the EHC the little guys just could not resist this fly.

As the day went on I was having all kinds of luck catching these wonderful little wild fish on various dry flies. However something was missing. Usually in this system you will catch a lot of dinks in the morning but you will have a nice share of 12 to 15 inch fish as the day goes on. But this was not the case today.

Continued
Old 08-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

After hiking back to the car in the nice 90+ degree heat for a little lunch a decision needed to be made. Stay here and mess around with the 4 to 11 inch redbands or go scout out some other blue lines in the area.

I chose the latter option and decided to see what some of those other blue lines held. The first one that I saw was real skinny water on a pretty steep grade. I decided that I was not going to bother even fishing it and moved on.

The next place looked like it had some real promise. After a short hike I was in the water and began to fish.

Continued......
Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Banned

The second cast I got a rise and had a fish on. I could tell that this was another small fish. I fished my way back up stream catching all kinds of dinks in the 3 to 6 inch range. I was pretty surprised to say the least. This place seems like it should have held a bit more sizable fish in it. I continued to fish my way back up stream for a bit and decided to hike back to the car.

Despite the mass dink catching I had a fun trip. I was able to get out and fish in spots where I was not bothered by any crowds. In addition I got to do a good side by side comparison between my 761-4 Superfine Trout bum and my 000710-3 TXL and the results may surprise you. The wind picked up in the afternoon and I had an easier time putting the fly where I wanted to with the TXL. The Superfine seemed to have a lot less ability to throw line in the wind. Both the Superfine and TXL feel great with smaller fish on. However I would be more inclined to grab the TXL if I may encounter larger fish as it seems to have a bit more spine. I think that I will give this system a break for a little while and check back on it in the fall.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you had a good day Sasha. You caught a lot of fish and got to enjoy nature by yourself. Sorry to hear that the bigger fish didn't want to play. Maybe next time. Great report and pictures.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sasha: Thanks for posting the fishing report, loved all the great photos! The size of the fish don't really matter, it looks like you were in some pristine conditions having a great day on the water, that is what counts.

Larry
Old 08-03-2009, 12:58 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "BJAC" Creek and a couple of other places

I really like the photos. Sounds like it a great trip even if it was just "dinks."
Cabot
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

Thanks guys!

Don't worry I was not really complaining about the dinks