The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 01:45 AM

AKJay will become famous soon enough
Default Kudos to TFO...

I got my first TFO rod the other day at Sportsman's Warehouse in Wasilla. I just can't believe how awesome this thing is for the price. I got the 4wt. Lefty Kreh Finesse series 8'9" and its handled fish I wouldn't believe and casts like a dream. I've been using it to fish for pinks but have accidentally hooked into a few 8 lb chum and a huge 12 lb sockeye and this rod handled them like a champ. I never would have imagined that it would take that size fish buy it has. I wish I'd had my good camera on me but its been raining so much so this was the only picture I've gotten to snap. I know its a crappy picture but it was my old point and shoot and I was in a rush to get the fish back in the water. I didn't weigh this one but it was still a good size red.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

AKJay: Thanks for the report, I would never have thought a 4wt would be up to handling that size of fish, must be a really nice rod.

Larry
Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default I second...

The kudos on the TFO rods...

Dan
Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM

I took it along yesterday fishing for pinks and silvers and I swear the largest pinks I caught were on that bad boy. I never would have believed they would hold up to that.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm not shocked to hear that about the rod, TFO makes great casting, tough rods for nice prices.

That reel looks like a Okuma Sierra. As long as you're catching serious fish, I'd make sure to keep it very clean or upgrade to a bit better reel. The Sierra has exposed roller bearings that turn on the spool spindle that could sure get fouled up if some grit gets in there. (from, ya know, a mud puddle or something)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
That reel looks like a Okuma Sierra. As long as you're catching serious fish, I'd make sure to keep it very clean or upgrade to a bit better reel. The Sierra has exposed roller bearings that turn on the spool spindle that could sure get fouled up if some grit gets in there. (from, ya know, a mud puddle or something)
Haha, good call on the reel...and ya, I know its not the best but it does the job. I've been really sure to clean it very well after it touches anything other than my case. I may end up upgrading before long but for now it does the job.
Thanks though Cliff.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 AM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kudos to TFO...

Also Kudos---TFO makes a great lineup of rods. I only use TFO rods for myself and clients. Here is what I caught on my 8'9" 4wt. finesse rod.
Click the image to open in full size.

27" Brown weighing in the 8 pound range. Caught on a size 18 red brassie I tyied and 6x tippet.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 08-22-2009, 10:50 AM

copperheadjohn is on a distinguished road

What line are you using on that rod? I have the 7'9" 4 wt. Finesse Thanks.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:42 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

TFO also supports Project Healing Waters, so your support enables them to support us as well!
I have fished with their rods before and have to say they are a very good quality rod for the price, no doubt!