The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default kokanee?very tastey?

so theres a little creek near me that has very few if any fish ive fished it a few times and the only fish ive ever caught was a nice little 5 in rainbow im guessing it was native cause it didnt have any of its fins clipped or worn off but anyways about this time of year there are some landlocked kokanee that swim up to spawn so my first question is can you catch and release a kokanne when they are red and spawning or is it to much of a strain on them...and my second question is can you keep and eat them..i know that a little will depend on what the fish and game says but as a fish are they any good when they spawn?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kokanee?very tastey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
so theres a little creek near me that has very few if any fish ive fished it a few times and the only fish ive ever caught was a nice little 5 in rainbow im guessing it was native cause it didnt have any of its fins clipped or worn off but anyways about this time of year there are some landlocked kokanee that swim up to spawn so my first question is can you catch and release a kokanne when they are red and spawning or is it to much of a strain on them...and my second question is can you keep and eat them..i know that a little will depend on what the fish and game says but as a fish are they any good when they spawn?

Hi flyfisher117,
Many streams are off limits when the Kokanee are spawning, and some are only closed to the fishing of Kokanee, but still open to fishing for other species.

The subject of fishing over spawning fish is a touchy subject for many whether it be Trout or Salmon. I'll be honest in saying that it is something I have done before, but don't believe in today. they are stressed enough and do not need any more harrassment from me or others.

As far as the meat...It's a little bit to soft/mushy for me during this time, but let it firm up and I'll load up the smoker with fish caught thrue the ice.

Hope this helps.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Re: kokanee?very tastey?

hmmm i thought they may be off to fishing but theres a vid on u tube where he is catching them and they are all red and stuff...unless they are always red..idk only seen them around spawning times