The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Nautilus FWX Reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/109039-nautilus-fwx-reel.html)

flyguynh 02-27-2011 08:59 PM

Nautilus FWX Reel

I was wondering if any has any experience with the new FWX reels? I'm looking to get one for a steelhead rod. Its between this or a Galvan Torque I think. I read somewhere about the FWX lacking some top end drag . . .

Hardyreels 02-27-2011 09:21 PM

Re: Nautilus FWX Reel

Hi flyguy,

We have some Galvan people here but I don't see many post about Nautilus reels. I don't have any experience with either but was gonna say welcome to the forum. What rod are you looking to put this reel onto? Another question is where are you at, Pacific NW. or Great Lakes?

I have a few big game reels but neither are what you are looking at so I'll wait to see what rod you have before I try to change your mind :D

Ard

Closest thing I found here is the last post on this thread, one of our members owns both reels; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...t-fw-then.html

ausablebrown 02-28-2011 12:24 AM

I haven't seen that complaint about the FWX, but I know that was a common complaint about the old FW. I messed around with one of those and I can vouch for it lacking on the top end; it felt pretty soft even when cranked down all the way. I don't know if Nautilus addressed that in the FWX or not. From what I've read they upgraded the clutch, and the looks, but I didn't see anything about the drag.

flyguynh 02-28-2011 05:54 PM

Thanks for the replies and the welcome! I have two thoughts about the rod I am looking to put this reel on. Part of me wants to bite the bullet and buy a 10ft 7wt NRX from Loomis, at that point I might spend a bit more on the reel I pair it with. On the other hand the practical side of me is thinking about a Scott A3 in a 10ft 7wt, I have this rod in a 3wt, great value, love the rod, seems like it would be a good action for steelhead, not super fast. I know I am on two ends of the spectrum here with rods but hey .....
As for location I am gonna be going after Great Lakes steel in NY. I am also thinking of using this as a light saltwater rod, I've already got a 9wt so it'd be a lighter compliment.

I think in the end it will all bs determined by cash flow over the next few months, but a guy can dream can't he?

ddombos2 02-28-2011 06:23 PM

I opted for the FW plus last year for my 7wt steelhead outfit. Not that it has seen that many of them yet. It doesnt have the top end of some other reels, but using it for steelhead is not uncommon. In fact, some people use it for light saltwater on 8wt or 9wt rods.

From what I understand, the drag is unchanged in the FWX.

flyguynh 03-02-2011 06:44 PM

So have you found the reel to be lacking with a fish on????

popperfly 03-02-2011 08:39 PM

I have a 3/4 FWX and I am currently looking to buy a 5/6. I really like the Nautilus FWX reels. The quality, workmanship and performance of the FWX is outstanding. Now this is my opinion only

wyflyfish 03-04-2011 02:27 PM

I own a FW 7 and love it.... for trout. I am heading to Mexico bonefishing this spring and have been trying to get another spool. Does anyone know if the FWX spool is compatible with the FW7. Hopefully I can test out the drag a little better in April!!! Thanks in advance

MoscaPescador 03-04-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyflyfish (Post 218931)
I own a FW 7 and love it.... for trout. I am heading to Mexico bonefishing this spring and have been trying to get another spool. Does anyone know if the FWX spool is compatible with the FW7. Hopefully I can test out the drag a little better in April!!! Thanks in advance

FWX 7 spool is compatible with the FW7.

MP

gaflydawg 04-03-2011 07:22 PM

I am also looking at a Nautilus FW 7+ reel for myself! Anyone have one for sale?