The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glissmeyer Adventures 2011

Kelly: Great photos of the bear cubs!

Larry

Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Oh man that was awesome! My wife was looking at the pictures of the cubs and yelling that she wants one too! They are too cute... thanks for sharing!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Really neat!

When do the get teeth??

Pocono
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Sweet reports as always
Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 AM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

I'll bet you that brown trout talked with a lisp. Awesome pics as always!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Really neat!

When do the get teeth??

Pocono
I could tell this little guy gnawing on my fingers and hand was close to having teeth pop. He was definitely teething and wanted something to chew on to relieve the pain. I could feel rows of little sharp nubbins, but they weren't emerged enough to do any damage. I assume it will be within a few days that the little guy will have teeth enough to do some damage

Kelly.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Kelly: Last year was the first time I saw the thread of your families adventures and once again I want to thank you for sharing again this year. I'm hoping Sunday to head up to Truckee, CA. for a few hours and to hopefully have the privilege to meet and do a little winter fishing with troutdoorsman and webrx. I keep forgetting what day it is with all the missed work from caring for my 84-year-old mother who just started chemo therapy yesterday.

Those pics of the bear cubs are fantastic! I'm going to share them with my mom as I think they will raise her spirits a bit. All this was so unsuspected and has happened so quickly. We didn't even know she had cancer until about 4 weeks ago and she found out when a heart attack while walking from her car to a doctors appointment put her in the hospital where we discovered she needs a 3-way bypass, but can't have it due to having stage 4 lung cancer had that has spread all over her body, which she did not find out about till then either.

I'm glad to read of your recovery and hope your full recovery continues to go well and that you will be able to get out on the water soon. I look forward to seeing the pictures of all the great fish you catch this year.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Last night I had the opportunity to tie a few flies and do a presentation on fishing spring creeks at the local Federation of Fly Fishers club meeting. The club is called Upper Snake River Fly Fishers and is located in Rexburg, ID. This is the club first started back in 1972 with Rene' Harrop and Mike Lawson as a couple of the original founding members.

Anyway, it was fun to get out and mix it up with other fly fishers - I guess if I can't fish at least I can talk about it

The club will be holding their annual fund raising banquet on April 9th and it is quite a to-do! They'll be giving away a new Hyde Drift Boat, Lasik eye surgery, and tons of other prizes. Here are the links to both the club as well as the banquet page:

Upper Snake River Fly Fishers

Upper Snake River Fly Fishers

This is the first of several opportunities I'll have this spring to do some demo tying and present my spring creeks PowerPoint program. I'll be tying next at the North Idaho Fly Fishing & Tying Expo in Lewiston, ID on March 25 and 26; down to Utah for their Wasatch Fly Fishing & Tying Expo April 1 and 2; and then our own local show in Idaho Falls, ID, the East Idaho Fly Tying Expo on April 15 and 16. So, I will be busy and can't wait to sit down and share my patterns.

Kelly.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Finally, another report that deals with fishing. At the same time, this old boy is still bummed at not being able to be the guy doing the reporting about the actual trip - my report is second hand...

The ankle continues to heal - slow but sure (it seems more slow than sure...) Nevertheless, it seems a little better every day.

Son, Michael and friends made it out both this past Saturday as well as the Saturday previous. Since the kid moved out on me it makes it a bit more difficult to get pics on a timely basis, but, at least I finally get them and am able to compose a report to share with you here.

This report will deal with the float-trip outing the guys took a week ago this past Saturday on the South Fork of the Snake River, ID. They floated from the Byington boat launch down to Twin Bridges. Since they were able to float in their pontoon craft, there weren't any difficulties with launch and takeout. The Byington ramp was snow-covered, although many drift boaters were still using it, but Ryan, being the improv guy that he is, got his pontoon ready at the top of the ramp, sat down in it and rode it down the ramp on the snow to launch it in the river - what a hoot!

The fishing was not so hot for the day, but the trip was a lot of fun for the guys, although Matt broke an oar on his boat's maiden voyage and Ryan bent an oar, also on his boat's maiden voyage. Matt and Mike had to lash their boats together in order for Matt to get down the river, so that made for a little excitement to add some spice to the day's events.

So, without further adieu, here are the pics from the day.

Matt after a successful first launch:
Click the image to open in full size.

Ryan, after his successful snow-launch down the Byington ramp:

Ryan, with one of the only trout/fish of the day:

The "Big Ugly" Rubberlegs strikes again:

A bit of rougher water:

The trestle hole:

Mikey, with a nice brown:

Where we fish - South Fork of the Snake River, ID:

Ryan and Matt kickin' back for lunch:

What, us worry?! - Just prior to one broken and one bent oar...:

Hey, guys, don't forget to yield to oncoming traffic... ("uh, which one is oncoming?):

What winter does to the river. Just wait until runoff as the higher flows really start stacking and plugging things up:

Ryan finishes the day with another nice brown on the "Big Ugly" Rubberlegs:

That's it for this week, I'll make sure I get this just past Saturday's trip posted as soon as I get the pics from the kid. They really slayed them at one of our favorite winter haunts, Chester Dam, on the lower Henry's Fork of the Snake River.

Until then, tight lines, everyone.

Kelly.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Kelly
Nice report. Glad to someone is making out on our waters!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures