The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glissmeyer Adventures 2011

After two months, it seems it's time to get this started. Thanks to a friendly suggestion by another board member I decided to rename this thread for this year.

Although I am still rehabbing (is that really a word?!) from my ankle surgery last December and not able to get out, my two sons and their buddies are. So, I must live the adventures through their descriptions, tall-tales and the few pictures they manage to take to record the experience.

The reason for the new name to our fishing journal is because for years our family has named our family outings "Glissmeyer Adventures", more because there was always something that managed to make each trip quite memorable, from car breakdowns, to camp accidents to all-around weird stuff happening to define that particular trip. Over the past few years we have had the same weird stuff often happen while we were out on the water in pursuit of our favorite quarry - trout. So, the name seems even more appropriate.

I will include with this first post a thread I posted earlier about the true definition of cold as my oldest son and his friend, Ryan, headed out for a winter outing with a film crew in tow on the coldest day we've had since 1956. So, without further introduction, here begins this years chapter of "Glissmeyer Adventures".

Recently my son Mike and friend Ryan were invited to participate in an outdoor adventure with a film crew from Outdoor Idaho along with a local camera crew. The outing resulted in a print article in the local newspaper (Post Register - Idaho Falls, ID), and most recently this week in a news magazine story on television Tight Line Media | Outdoor News | Southeast Idaho | Video Production .

They will then be a part of an Outdoor Idaho segment on Idaho Public Television in July.

The only problem with the outing was that when a film crew decides to shoot, they set a date and it becomes firm - come rain, shine or frozen leaders

The guys found themselves on the South Fork of the Snake River with a two-person film crew on the coldest day of the year thus far in the Idaho Falls area. The film segment said it started at minus 18 degrees F. and moved down to minus 20 at sunrise. The local news reported that evening that we had tied a record set in 1956 (the year I was born ) at minus 21 degrees - Brrrrrrrrrr.

So, tough as these two guys may appear, know that we don't usually get out on the water if the temps dip below 20 degrees above zero. In all they had a great time and got their fifteen minutes of fame, so to speak.

28 February 2011

Well, that was a few weeks ago now, and the guys picked a bit warmer weather for their next outing, a week ago this last Saturday.

They got on the water at around noon or so, with the temperature around 14 degrees.

It was overcast and spit at them pretty regularly. They caught a fair amount of fish, with most of the catch being whitefish, a few browns mixed in, along with a rainbow or two.

This was a first trip for one of Mike's friends, Matt. Matt just got out of the Army and he and his wife moved back to the area and he has caught the bug bad! Michael is a great teacher and so Matt has hit the ground running with some good beginner skills.

As for me, I've been tying a lot of flies and grousing around the house - I'm surprised my wife can stand me anymore

Here are some pics from a week ago:

New Kid on the block - Matt:
Click the image to open in full size.

Gettin' ready at the truck:

Ryan's pretty stoked to get on the water:

Matt's first fish on a flyrod:

How do you say cccccoooooolld?

Mikey with a decent brown for the day:

Well, that's the beginning of what I hope to be many, many other outings this year.

Tight lines, everyone.

Kelly.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Glissmeyer Adventures 2011

And another season gets going!! Look forward to following your exploits Kelly. Hope the rehab goes well so you can make it out yourself soon!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
And another season gets going!! Look forward to following your exploits Kelly. Hope the rehab goes well so you can make it out yourself soon!!
Thanks, Davo. I'm getting like a bull in a china shop around home and I'm sure my wife would appreciate me getting out also

I see the doc tomorrow. I'm a bit worried since they told me back on the 14th of Feb. that I should be able to start walking on it without total use of crutches - not so, and a very painful thing to experience. Hopefully they'll give me some good news tomorrow - hope, hope, hope. Man, I gotta go fishing

Kelly.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: That was great! I hope the visit with the Doc goes well, best of luck!

Larry

Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly - great update! Thanks.

Surgery on the lower bones/joints often times goes a little slower than one would like. The joints in the lower half of our body support the weight of the whole body, so you want to be sure that they're working properly before you start stumbling through freestone streams and the like.

I hope that the doc says: "go"; but if he doesn't, stay with his advice. The fish will still be there when you're fully mended and I'm sure that your wife appreciates the little things that you can do around the house while you're home-bound

Pocono
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I hope that the doc says: "go"; but if he doesn't, stay with his advice. The fish will still be there when you're fully mended and I'm sure that your wife appreciates the little things that you can do around the house while you're home-bound
Hey Kelly, so happy to see your new thread up and running!! Hope that you can get out soon, but I have to agree with Allan. You need your rest. Don't push it otherwise you'll end up spending even more time on the bench.
Can't wait for your next adventure.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks, everyone. I have another report from this past Saturday waiting in the wings, just need to get the photos from my son. I also took a drive around my favorite winter haunts on the lower Henry's Fork and I'll post some winter photos of those soon.

As for my recovery, thanks for everyone's concern. I see the doc tomorrow and hopefully we'll see something change or at least get some answers. I'll behave myself. Funny thing, I had a hip replaced last summer and I was back fishing within 6 weeks and wading within 8. The ankle is truly a critical joint and we don't realize how much we rely on them until they don't work any longer.

Until then, I'll satisfy myself with putting in serious time at the tying bench and perfecting some of my newest patterns.

Kelly.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Awesome start! Looking forward to more and warmer weather here as well!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly, I think those strappin' lads should carry you,, in your 'toon, down to the water until you're off the DL. After ice out any way. milt.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Kelly, I think those strappin' lads should carry you,, in your 'toon, down to the water until you're off the DL. After ice out any way. milt.
I like it...

Kelly