The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Lottery Winner

Your wife and kids left a few years back and you just hit the lottery. Rich and single And Salmon/Steelhead season about here. You can go anywhere and you like the Great Lakes from NY to MN. Michigan has some good streams. And PA. In any event you decide to fish three rivers by wading- what would they be?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:31 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Lottery Winner

My three would be Elk Creek in PA, The Connie in OH, and the PM in MI; these aren't in order of rank; rank changes based on weather and conditions.

Dan
Old 08-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Red Owl,

Dan is right on with his choices, given the right conditions Elk Creek offers a good number of catch-able fish. I used to like it in March. Anywhere on Michigan's U.P. will offer a more solitary experience but winter / spring access is a problem there. I love the U.P. The Tahquamenon River is a good one. If you want to fish a classic stretch of river for Steelies try the Douglaston Salmon Run water on New York's Salmon River. It is a bit more civilized than the rest of the river. The water conditions when the river flow is around 300 - 400 cfs are outstanding. When the fish are there an angler can prowl the river and find some real beauties in the lies.

I should add that it took me the better part of five years to learn the channels and to know where to find fish year after year. Once you have it figured out the fishing can be great. Like any anadromous fishery if the fish aren't in or have moved up river you may be skunked. That happens here too.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-22-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2009, 06:26 PM

I forgot to mention about public access- how is the Elk and the PM as far as being able to reach fishable spots?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Pics I've seen, and people I've spoken to re: Elk Creek seem to suggest public access is there. As is the entire public from the surrounding area. I prefer fishing and only bumping into..............fish.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The Elk can be crowded at times; I always try to go during the week, but where I'm fishing it is unposted.

The PM has lots of access points, you need a Federal Stamp to park in the parking areas now. Fishing from a drift boat would be my choice on the PM, you cover lots of water.

Dan
Old 08-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's all the farther you guys would go after winning the lottery? What about places like Patagonia, Kamchatka, New Zealand, or Mongolia for Taimen? You just won the lottery! It would take more than a bus to get me to a fishing spot if I won the lottery. I know the question has a limited area, but if you won the lottery I'll bet you could think of better places. Maybe the Seychelles. So many fish, so little lottery winnings.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
That's all the farther you guys would go after winning the lottery? What about places like Patagonia, Kamchatka, New Zealand, or Mongolia for Taimen? You just won the lottery! It would take more than a bus to get me to a fishing spot if I won the lottery. I know the question has a limited area, but if you won the lottery I'll bet you could think of better places. Maybe the Seychelles. So many fish, so little lottery winnings.
Good point Dan, if money were no object I would be exploring the far ends of the earth to fuel my fly fishing. There is a famous stream in SE Alaska that is has very large steelhead, can't remember the name but I have a friend that fished that stream for a week several years ago and the largest fish landed was 42 inches. Ard probably knows the name of the stream.

Larry
Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 PM

It was a modest lottery winning
Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
It was a modest lottery winning
My Bad. I was thinking Power Ball and you were thinking $1.oo scratch off. I have always said though, if you are going to wish, wish big, You don't wan't to waste the one that comes true.