The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Ravens Fork (Trophy stream ) Cherokee NC.

Cherokee NC. now has some Trophy waters which has 5 species of Trout and all are pretty good size fish! Rainbows, Donaldson Rainbow which is like a Steelhead, Brown, Brookies and palomino Trout also are in its waters. This is a 2.2 mile stream of pure Trophy fishing and all Catch & Release is a must! I've landed two Donaldson Rainbows which put up a good fight and are very strong, the largest being 23 inches.A very nice place to fish with plenty of room. The water is very fast in places and the bottom is very slick, I'd take a friend with you when you go just to help you out when you fall! Tight Lines!

GeorgiaFlyGuide
Old 08-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ravens Fork (Trophy stream ) Cherokee NC.

Lambster: Be sure to post some photos when you get a chance.

Larry
Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Lambster,
I looked up the waters and found a place saying that you had to purchase a $20 fishing permit and a $7 permit from the reservation. Is this in addition to a NC fishing license or are the 2 permits all that you need to fish. I will be coming from VA and am not sure what will be required so I want to make sure that I have all the required permits.
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

As I understood it, you only need the reservation permit to fish on the Indian reservation.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 AM

Yes to fish the 2.2 mile Trophy Zone you need a $20 pass and how many days you want to fish the reservation pass which is $7 bucks. The Trophy zone pass is good for a year! The water is clear cold and fast in places, we hooked several large fish in the zone! Streamers such as De Silver and Mr.Copper seemed to work the best with large nymphs such as black BH stone flies, prince nymphs. You need a wading staff on these waters because its so slick!! I talked to the officers in charge of the Trophy zone and told them if we have to pay $20 to fish this 2.2 mile stretch of water that the tubbers shouldn't be allowed to float through where we are fishing! I got a nice e-mail back and he said yes he agreed with me and that they would put a stop to this problem! We are not going to drive 3hrs. to fish a trophy zone and then pay $20 bucks plus the gas if folks are going to rift raft the water which we pay to fish.......... we guide up their and clients want to Trophy fish and not put up with the tubbers! Tight Lines!

Lambster
Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks Lambster for the info. Is there a specific place I need to go to pick up the permit and also where is a good place to start. I am trying to find a business or something close to where I should get in the water to get an address to check my drive.
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Hello Tuck

Yes when you get into Cherokee look for Big Cove Road which should be on your right when you get down the middle of town....... follow Big Cove Road up to the bait store which will be on your right,aprox. 4 miles, the Trophy section starts right their almost at the bait store! Starting point is right at the River Valley Campgrounds which is also on your right, its close to the bait store! Start their then work your way down river to the stopping point which will be Blue Ridge Parkway Bridge 2.2 miles down river. The current is swift and the bottom is slick! Have fun and tight lines! Also use 2x or 3x leaders!!!!!!!!! some of these Trout are very large and will pull you all over the place using the current to their advantage!
Lambster
Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Well I finally got to fish the Trophy Waters this morning. Saw a lot of beautiful fish and had a couple of hits but "as much as I hate to admit it", I did not catch any today. I will definitely be back as this is an absolute beautiful place to fish. I would recommend heading out during the week, heard it can get crowded on the weekends. This morning I was at the river by 7 and did not see anyone for the next 3 hours. However I did have a herd of Elk that decided that I looked lonely in the water so they came out about 30 yards away. Even though I did not catch anything "today", the place is already one of my favorite places that I will return to time and time again. Nothing like hearing the Elk Bugle and watching huge Palomino's swim all around you.
Thank you Lambster for the recommendation.
Tuck
Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Those Donaldson's Rainbow Trout are a blast to fish. These fish are hybridized from Rainbow Trout, Steelhead, and Cutthroat Trout (click here for source.). Like Steelhead, Donaldson's Rainbow Trout are feisty and have a lot of speed to them. Some lakes and streams here in Northern California are stocked with them.

MP