The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Midge Success

I went and fished a stocked pond today here in Maryland. Fishing ponds with the fly rod is new to me and I have been struggling to catch fish. Picked up a few on most days but never killed them. Well today I started catching a fair amount of fish today on a green weenie and decided to experiment a little and tied on a red zebra midge with a tuff of dubbingg on the thorax that I tied up. I fished it under small indicator and caught trout on my first three casts. I then proceded to catch fish pertty much every 5-6 casts for the next hour. The power bait guys just sat there and shook there heads. These were my first fish on a midge. Doubley nice that I tied them. I have read a lot about midge fishing but never could have imagine how effective they could be.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midge Success

Tony,
Ain't it grand when you figure out what fish are really eating? It's a bonus when it is on a fly that you tied up yourself. One of the realities is that midges make up a majority of a trout's diet in stillwater. Keep up the good work.

MP
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tracker: Congrats! Like MP said, isn't it great when you start catching trout on a pattern you tied up! Welcome to midge fishing!

Larry

Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Tracker12, Congratulations on your success.

Midges are overlooked by many fly fishers. Unless you fish a tailwater or maybe a lake you might never try midges. They are very productive for Trout and especially in deep lakes. The black/white Zebra midge is one of my favorites. I like to tie them with a white glass bead.

Frank

Here is a picture of a Chironomid Emerger. The head is interesting, note the white fuzz at the head.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Big time congrats!!!!

I believe midges was truly when the addiction started for me. Next try doubles with them or doubles with a soft hackle small thing. Now not only are you catching fish you have tons of combo's to try.

I think my two fily's I start with now day's is a #18 gold ribbed hairs ear with a #20 zebra midge. I start with red if that doesn't work move to black then grey or olive.

CritterGetter
Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing sweeter than when you crack the code - well played, sir! Midges are my favorites and winter is my favorite season because of all the great fish we catch on midges.

Kelly.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the congrats. I learned a lot yesterday and definitely got an appreciation for the midge. I went to a Fly tying show today in the Philly area and saw a lot of great tiers with some simple but very impressive flys. Also listened to speakers Bob Clouser, Ed Shank and Joe Humphreys. Good stuff.

Crittergetter
I fished that exact copy of the hares ear and zebra midge last fall on the gunpowder and had success. Gold ribbed haresear and Prince nymph are my two favorites and I seem to have more confindence in them than others.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
Gold ribbed haresear and Prince nymph are my two favorites and I seem to have more confindence in them than others.
Never leave home without them!

MP
Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 PM

What do you all recommend as a good Midge fly box. I can see that I am going to want a put all my midges together and keep them organized. I needed to tie up a bunch more tonight. Fished the pond again and ended up passing a few out to guys.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:44 PM

I use a Umpqua Myran 3x4 fly box for my Brassie box currently, but I may switch to one of those magnetic C&F boxes. An issue that I have with the Myran is that some of the tiny Brassies (20 or smaller) migrates from one spot to another.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP