The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
SCflyguy is on a distinguished road
Default East Fork Chattooga Fishing

Just got back from a weekend in the mountains and some great trout fishing. I look forward to these trips like you wouldn't believe 'cause I'm addicted to trout, but only get up to fish them about 4 times a year I really should just make it a point to go more often, but a 5 hr trip means at least an overnighter and really a long weekend to make it worthwhile.

Anyway, only got to fish sat., but headed down to the east fork of the Chattooga river which is right next to the Walhala state fish hatchery in SC. I normally fish the main section of the Chattooga, but I was taking my wife with me who had never caught a trout before so I figured this spot would help her odds. I'll tell you, the amount of fish in this one pool was ridiculous! I found out they stock the stream weekly and especially this one area near the parking area. There's even a little pier for people to fish off of.

This one pool (about the size of a swimming pool) probably had about 100 catchable sized trout in it with 4 or 5 nice sized ones in there. Didn't take long before I got my wife on some fish. Here's a picture of her with her first trout:
Click the image to open in full size.
She hasn't really mastered fly fishing yet so she caught it on a spinning outfit, but did still use flies for lures. Just used some split shot to make it castable. It's a good way to teach her how a fly moves in current.

I ended up catching about 12 or so all about this size:
Click the image to open in full size.
I caught most of them on #14 soft hackles and a couple on GRHE. I would have had no trouble catching twice that many, but I was spending more time teaching than fishing. All in all a very rewarding experience.

That one pool definitely felt like cheating except for this one large brown sitting right in the middle that would have nothing to do with anything I threw at him. I worked on him all day long and nothing. Just as I was packing it in, the guy next to me tossed in some powerbait and had him floppin on a stringer in a minute flat Oh well.

With the exception of the cheatin' pool, everything down stream is just ideal small creek fishing where you actually have to hunt for the fish. A little more my speed.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:08 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Re: East Fork Chattooga Fishing

I was there all weekend as well. Were you at the bridge on highway 28 or burrells ford road. I camped at burrells ford campground and fished that down stream area you write about. At one point on Friday, there was a school of around 50 trout just sitting in a slow "riffle". we caught a couple browns and bows out of that school. by Saturday morning, the schools had thinned but you could still pick out groups of 6 or more all over. The stock fish were trout and they didn't like the naturals I was tossing for the most part though we did catch some. The power bait/spinner crowed was tearing the fish a new one but I did well enough and my son caught his first bow.

This was our 4th trip in three months, I plan at least another overnight stay and then day trips. a couple months and the area above the highway 28 bridge for three miles will be delayed harvest (single hook, imitation only, catch and release) and stocked.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Scflyguy,
It reads like you and the wife had an enjoyable time. Congrats to your wife for catching her first trout.

MP
Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 AM
SCflyguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuramille View Post
I was there all weekend as well. Were you at the bridge on highway 28 or burrells ford road. I camped at burrells ford campground and fished that down stream area you write about.
Actually the East fork feeds into the Chattooga a little north of Burrells Ford. You can get to it from Burrells Ford by taking Burrells Ford Rd. into SC toward 107 and turn left at the main road. The next road to the left will be Hatchery rd. which will take you right to the E. Fork. Yeah they had def. never seen the naturals before.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Thanks for that info. Congratulation on a good weekend and I hope to meet you up here sometime.

JJ