The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 05:45 PM

OwenRiverLodge will become famous soon enoughOwenRiverLodge will become famous soon enough
Default Mice eating trout ??

Urban myth or truth ??

Mouse eating trout are not an old wives’ tale, but an event that happens every five or six years in New Zealand.
This is the result of the three species of native beech tree all seeding at the same time,
which results in an abundance of available mouse food and the explosion of the mice population.

The mice move their way through the beech forests and regularly cross the rivers in search of more beech seed.
Trout, being the opportunist feeders they are, soon tune into the large bundles of protein available to them and
have no hesitation in walloping them at every opportunity!
Click the image to open in full size.
If it’s a ‘mouse year’ then expect plenty of brown trout in the 7–9 pound bracket.
This huge increase in trout food means that they rapidly gain large amounts of weight - trout can put on 4 pound in a few weeks on this diet!

Generally, one does not use a mouse pattern to catch these leviathans – your normal dry or nymph pattern will do the trick.
Well last season, all three species of native beech trees all flowered.
And I’m here to tell you that in the last week or so, I’ve seen mice in the garden, mice along the river and the farmers are reporting mice in their hay sheds.
(thankfully we don’t have any in the lodge!).

The last mouse year was in the 2000–2001 season so another one is overdue!
It’s no coincidence that it was during the last “mouse year” in March 2001 that I managed to land my two largest brown trout, 12.5lb and 11.5lb respectively.
It’s also with a certain amount of pride that I can share with you that these two beauties were caught on the Matakitaki River – which is a mere 20 minute drive from the lodge.
Murchison
South Island, New Zealand
http://www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz

http://www.facebook.com/OwenRiverLodge

Last edited by OwenRiverLodge; 09-10-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixing layout
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mice eating trout ??

Awsome report, I always carry mice patterns in couple sizes!!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

That's why there are flies like this available commercially.

MP
Old 09-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi OwenRiverLodge,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Those are beautiful fish.

Frank
Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Fishing mouse patterns is a great way to take Browns at night, no need to wait for a mouse year.

Dan
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Mouse will be on the menu during the brown spawn this year.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

ORL-

At first when I saw the title of the thread I thought the mice were eating the trout (No one has ever accused me of being fast on the up take). I'm surprised you don't fish with mouse patterns for those beasts since you could get away with heavier tippets, but I guess that's considered bait fishing in NZ

Great fish pics, they're beauties!

mark
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics,lucky to have such big trout in your rivers.I knew a german fisherman who regularly fished with a mouse pattern in the upper part of the Loisach in Austria,that's how he caught some fish over 10 pounds.Mr Kunstner told me he had seen a huge trout catching a bat in the mountain lakeso maybe you could tie some to fish late in the evening
Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM

lourdios will become famous soon enoughlourdios will become famous soon enough

yes , nothing better than a nice hatch of bats
i caught one by the wing ( a bat not a big trout like the ones in NZ )
i was sorry and i did my best to release it softly
Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Try the German "die fledermaus" = the bat. Morph it to "fledermouse" and you're not far off; one mammal vs. the other; the night mouse / the day mouse.