The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2006, 09:25 AM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough
Cimarron stoneflies

Does anyone know the size and color of the stones on the Cimarron river NM? Looks like I'll get a trip that way in July.

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-16-2006, 12:58 PM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cimarron stoneflies

nevermind
Old 05-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Looks like some guy knows a thing or two about that river.- http://www.totalflyfishing.com/index..._in_a_Lifetime

Then there's this Click the image to open in full size.

Other than that its hard to find man. You'd probably be covering your bases with some yellow stimulators in sizes 12 and 14, and some princes or zug bugs in the same. On the other hand, if the stones are little yellow sallies, you'll want 16's and maybe 18's and smaller nymphs as well. There's also a possibility of there being little black stones around, but they're least common nationwide.

There's no chance of needing any of the gigantic (size 4 or 6) salmonfly patterns, as those hatches all happen west of Yellowstone.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Looks like I was wrong about the salmonflies, they apparently show up as far SE as Silverthorne, CO. http://www.mountainangler.com/hatchart.htm

I was under the impression that they generally were only in spots below 8000 feet elevation, looks like I was wrong.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:20 PM

thanks Cliff but I found someone who knows the river and I got the info I need.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 PM

troutmagnet will become famous soon enoughtroutmagnet will become famous soon enough

I've fished there in July the last few year but didn't use a stonefly pattern. Did real good with Parachute Adams and BWO. The Cimarron has some real nice Brown but you need to look for area less fished. If you want to catch some native cutthroats, I can tell you where if you are interested. I fished the Pecos River during the giant salmon stonefly hatch. They're monsters! I did real good with a yellow/orange stimulator.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:13 PM

jayraider is on a distinguished road

hey troutmagnet:

I would be very interested in where you are talking about catching cutthrout on the cimmaron. What type of pattern were these cutthrout hitting on. I would also like to know where the big browns are! Thanks man.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 AM

jack777 is on a distinguished road

Good Friend.
Telephone: 00225 0944 3339
Please reply to my private email box below: ( jack_dfota2007@yahoo.com )

Hello Dear One.

I have Decided to get in touch with you,to see if you can help me solve my problem. My Name is Jack Dikko.My Late Parents had lost there life in the course of the Political crisis in Abidjan-Cote d'Ivoire.My father Chief Dikko Fota.willed in cash, the sum of $6.5M USD which he hedeposited in a private bank here in Abidjan in Cote D'ivoire in suspence account.,for onward transfer into a foriegn account.for investment purpose with enabling conditionalities for the release of the fund which areas follows:

1) That I must be 25 years or above.(2) That upon request for the release of the fund, there must be evidence of investment intentions especially outside the west africa, I contact you therefore to confirm if you can absorb me in Business partnership in your company orpossibly advise me on any investment opportunity in your country.

1) To assist me in retriving this money from the bank.
2) To serve as the guardian of this fund.
3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a residential permit in your country moreover, I am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as compensation for your effort/input after the successful transfer of this fund to your nominated account overseas.

Furthermore, you can indicate your option towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction would be concluded within (72) working banking houres this fund will signify into your acount. I expect your urgent response including your addresses, your telephone and fax number. Thanks for expected cooperation.

My regards,
Jack Dikko.
Call Me (00225) 0944 3339

Please reply to my private email box below: ( jack_dfota2007@yahoo.com )