The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Kunibert is on a distinguished road
Default The straw that broke the camel's back

This is a story about knowing when to stop, when enough is enough, or that too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Tonight was one of those overly productive evenings when only in two or three hours you can get into the double digits. Earlier a weigted prince under an in indicator produced two decent size brookies and a brown of the same size. As the sun set, I tied on a shorter, stronger leader and at the end a size 10 white muddler.

As it got darker, the fishing got better. 4,5,6, 1lbs brookies later and it was pitch dark. I was now hauling a fish in on every fourth or fifth cast. Seven might be a good number to stop and pack up. Eight has absolutely no significance so I might as well aim for nine. I hadn't caught a fish of significant size yet so it seemed like going for one more to catch the big one seemed like a good idea. Sure enough, relocation to a shallower part of the pool and a smoke break later produced a nice 2lb brook trout after only six or seven casts. This was definitely a fish big enough to go home a happy angler.

When the fishing is this good, it's hard to stop. I was into the double digits and I wanted to see how far I could go. Smoke break. Move around the pool again. Cast muddler, retrieve slowly. I can't see anything. As the muddler stops mid retrieve I set the hook. Good thing I waited for eleven because grand pappy decided to come out and say hello.

It's clouded over just enough to hide the moon. There's nothing but a few farmlights in the distance which provide absolutely no assistance in seeing farther than five feet from my nose. I can tell that this fish is huge, maybe twice the size of the big number ten. Night time isn't really the best time for slow play because I know there's weedbeds and other obstacles around but I can't see them. This is definitely the biggest trout I've ever caught - I can't see but I can feel it. He's getting close to shore and He's almost within reach
One short haul and he's on the bank.

It's pretty difficult to control a fish with a broken road. Holding one piece of the rod in my left hand I struggle to reach the line so I can pull him on shore. Good thing what I was using was basically the butt end of a factory tapered leader. I pulled the trout on shore so I could have a look. Around 24 inches. And fat. This time of year, could have been a female full of eggs. I pulled out my camera from my waders. I had to get a picture of this thing. This picture is the last I've ever saw of him (or her):

Click the image to open in full size.

Should I have stopped at ten:

Click the image to open in full size.

By the way, does anybody know how long it usually takes Sage to send a replacement.....
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 PM

rifflerat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The straw that broke the camel's back

Sage is almost a month out as of 08/10.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the great fishing!

Larry
Old 09-16-2009, 11:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Warranty work from Sage will be dependent on the rod that's sent back. Sage has rod sections that just need to be fitted to match the sent rod. If a section is not available, the graphite will have to be rolled out. Add a day or two for that. If the graphite or rod parts are not available, the wait will be longer. Usually newer rods will be turned around faster than discontinued models.

Back in August, I sent back three rods for a local guide back to Sage. All three rods were back within two weeks. Considering that standard UPS shipping takes six days (there and back) between Sacramento, California, and Bainbridge Island, Washington, Sage only had the rod eight days at the most. On average, most repairs that I deal with on Sage are back within two weeks.

FYI. If you are interested, Sage uses Fed Ex for its shipping.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-16-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: can't do math
Old 09-17-2009, 10:05 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Sounds like you had a heck 'uva night! Too bad about the rod, but hey it broke in the line of duty on a respectable fish! Hope you are not down too long. Do you have a backup?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Kunibert,

Sounds like a night you'll remember for sure. Could you please re-size your photos and re-post them? They will not enlarge for me, they remain almost thumb nail sized even when I click on them. Nothing beats a good fish photo.....................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Kunibert is on a distinguished road

Here's the two resized from the original post:

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Fortunately my brother in-law lent me his 4-weight until I can get a back-up this weekend. Here's the fruits of tonight's labour on said 4-weight:

I called it quits tonight after this one:

Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road

Those are some dandy brookies for sure. Way to go!
Then You're The One!!!!!