The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Mayfly ID confirmation

I wrote a short story about my experience this last weekend in the SC mountains as a reply to Lambsters "Too much Rain" thread. While having the light on and tent flap open (mopping out water leaking into to tent ) my small damp abode became the haven for a general selection of trout food. perfect opportunity to get some pictures. One I have not seen yet this summer is the mayfly in this pic. the cadis in the background hatch daily as does a MUCH smaller (#22) mayfly. Now I understand that there are about 13 different mayflies that are all typed by fisherman as BWO's and imitated by the same patterns but...

can anyone validate this identification...late Sept/north eastern SC/63deg/10:45 at night/storming so hard I was drawing up plans for a second "noah's ark"!!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mayfly ID confirmation

Hmmmm..... I'm thinking Isonychia- it's called by a lot of different names like White Gloved Howdy, Leadwing Coachman, Slatewing Dun, etc but probably the most common one is "Mahogany Dun". 2 tails, mahogany brown body and slate gray wings, about a size 12 but can range from a 10-14-- and the timing seems right.

It's a very common hatch throughout the East on freestone streams and a bit unusual-

It often hatches in 2 groups-- one in early season May-June that often runs larger size 10-12 and then another in late summer into Sept-October often a bit smaller size 12-14.

The nymphs are good swimmers and typically swim to rocks on the stream (like stonefly nymphs) and emerge there rather than in the water like most mayflies- look for their cases on the tops of rocks midstream. In many streams the nymphs will have a white stripe down their back. Good nymph imitations are slender with dark brown dubbed bodies, but generic ones like Prince Nymphs and Zug Bugs often work well. You can strip them like a streamer, just a bit slower. Because the nymphs typically swim and emerge on rocks emerger patterns and duns are not as available to the fish as the spinners. Wets like the Leadwing Coachman can still be effective though to imitate emergers or drowned adults, and dry fly patterns with CDC, or Comparaduns can work well too for the duns, though they're often not as available as other mayfly duns that have to sit on the water while their wings dry off. (once the they emerge on a rock into the dun, they can simple fly off.) Some duns do get blown into the water, and there are some streams where actual emergence in the water seems to be more common. And even if there aren't any natural duns on the water, trout seem to go out of their way to whack imitations. They must taste good-- maybe like chocolate?

My favorite dry pattern for this hatch is a Dun Variant- dun tail, brown quill body and an oversize medium dun hackle collar (no wing). You can skitter this across the surface or dead drift it and it's a great imitation for the spinner. I usually tie them on a size 14 hook with size 12 hackle.

The critter in your pic looks like an Iso spinner with gray wings-- the dun has dark veins in it's gray wings which are pretty prominent.

Here some more detailed info and pics from troutnut (a great site for this kind of stuff).

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/649/Ma...-Dun#specimens

Does this seem like it could be a match?

mark
Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply peregrines. the wings were much more clear in actual and I think look gray due to the background floor of my tent. the picture is bad for identification I suppose. the body was much thinner and round though than the oval shape of the Isonychia. More like a quill gordan if going by pictures on Troutnut.

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/681

I see now that it couldn't be a BWO with only the two tails. anyway, seeing how the fishing didn't go well, I thought to get something from the trip.

thanks again for your input.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:41 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

im pretty sure its not a quill gordan. The picture isnt close enough to tell the exact type. The difference between one type and another type can sometimes be so small. If you could zoom in some how that would help. Ill check my book and get back to you. im pretty sure ill be able to tell you later.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Taskienne is on a distinguished road

Hello,

For me, the indentification whit a photo !!! Impossible to say name, I've Friend who is a good hydrobiology and entomology scientist, and find the name of a species whitout a binocular...

And, just size and color are important for fishing... A fly model for all species !!!

A+
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 PM

So true Taskienne, it doesn't mater so much for the fishing. The picture alone will help me tie up a match for next trip.

but.. the entomology portion of this sport/hobby/experience appeals to me. As with all the other elements, I have room for improvement.

I haven't observed any discarded Isonychia nymph shells on the rocks but there also are not very many of these mayflys yet so I'll keep my eyes open.

as far as enlarging the picture more, its already been enlarged to the point of loosing quality. I suppose I may need to try to get another photo next trip. with luck I'll get one.

JJ
Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

looks like a late season blue quill spinner..they are hatching here now..sz. 16.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Now that blue quill spinner does look VERY similar. I wonder if there is variation in the number of "clear" segments in the body. The visitor I pictured only had the first two 1/2 or so segments and not nearly as clear as those pictured on troutnut. but the posture, stance, clear wing, size all seem right. the hatch periods make this a "late" one for sure if this is what that is.

thanks for that direction sandfly. there are some interesting imitations for it as well.