The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Whats the weirdest thing you've caught while fly fishing?

You just don't know what your going to catch on your stream your fishing, we were guiding on the Toccoa River fishing in the middle section with heavy streamers and one of the guys hooked a 8 pound steel bird feeder heaviest trout we ever hooked! it was funny when we got it to the surface!
The flie held and so did the leader! So what have you hooked that was kinda off the wall type of fish........ well you thought it was a fish!

Lambster
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM

halo7b is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whats the weirdest thing you've caught while fly fishing?

hooked a bat once, throwing #22 tricos in WV at dusk with a 1wt lets just say there was no catch and release on that one

not on a fly but I was fishing with my father once for pike and he brought in a muskrat. that was a bit hard to get off of a wally diver with steal leader
Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

The fellow that I fish with is in his 50's and has fished his whole life. This year was the first time that he has ever caught a rock. The rock was round with no edges to have caught the line. Somehow his line just wrapped around it perfectly to bring it in. 3 weeks later he caught a second rock the same way (that was also round).
Tuck
Old 09-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

The othr day while I was nymphing with a two fly setup and a big rainbow hooked into the bottom fly and dove for the weeds. As he went through the weeds he broke off and when I brought the line up I had a large crayfish hooked on the upper fly.

Larry
Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 PM

juggygales is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend caught a shoe at lake almanor. i wish i would have taken a pic. she didnt think it was as funny as i did. 20 minutes later she hooked a rock.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I catch lots of rocks while salmon fishing here, but..................

Once while bass fishing on the Susquehanna River in PA. I made a cast with my last shiner hooked on the line. Yes I said shiner, (long story) they work much better than a fly for small mouth bass. I hooked a 17" smalley. While the fish was fighting and thrashing on the surface, I saw my last piece of bait, (the shiner) go flying. When I removed the hook it was embedded in the carapace of a nice fat crayfish that was in the bass's gullet.

I cast out the crayfish and caught the fishes twin. Years ago I had bought a Shimano 4000 reel and a Zebco 10' noodle rod for fishing lip hooked shiners for bass. I gave the rig away when I moved away from the Susquehanna.

There I finally got that off my chest, I feel like I just confessed. Bait, I used bait from 1999 - 2001

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-30-2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road

fishing around dusk on the manistee river with a big brown drake pattern i was in my back cast. the line started flying up instead of shooting forward on my front cast. the line took off, straight up.... baffled i stripped in the line and soon enough i saw the shadow of a bat that had chomped on my fly. i snipped the leader and called it a night. if im catching bats, god doesnt want me catching fish.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:26 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road

Strangest thing I ever caught was a dragonfly. I got him on my back cast. When the line came forward it acted like i had picked up a leaf, so I pulled it in and there was a dragonfly impaled on my hook.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Bat

A salmon corpse - I actually hooked it in the mouth.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:03 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Trolling at 6' with rattle traps in central florida I caught a DD size bra

I caught a baby alligator with a #10 popper fly fishing for bluegill...casting from a canoe to the shore line. little guy was only 14" long and another adult gator 7' maybe (mom?) came to within 3 feet of my canoe while the baby was making those grunting distress calls. it was lip hooked so I grabbed the hook with hemo's and shook him loose. Both gators swam off once I had him back in the water.